[iConnect] USB boot and Arch install without serial cable

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: [iConnect] USB boot and Arch install without serial cabl

Postby stevecarloss » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:56 pm

I have an old router(not giga) so having the network problem mentioned above.

you mentioned that ArchLinux supports the wlan on the Iconnect so Is there a way to maybe configure the wlan to bypass the problem?

Maybe by plugging the USB stick into a linux box and editing something in a text editor?
stevecarloss

Postby nicebloom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:04 am

You could put this in your /etc/rc.local
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.local: Local multi-user startup script.
#

wpa_supplicant -D wext -i wlan0 -c /etc/yourNetwork -B
dhcpcd wlan0
')
and create a file called /etc/yourNetwork
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
network={
ssid="sWeeTnet"
psk=#############################################
}
')
After this it should connect to your network at each boot.

As an alternative you could also use something from here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless
;)
All the best...
nicebloom

Postby kaminar » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:34 pm

I would some help. I managed to install archlinux following the instructions. ssh is working etc.

I'm trying to follow the instructions from this page
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_3G_Modem

to install a 3G modem stick in one of the USB ports. lsusb gives me
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6254 Alcor Micro Corp. USB Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05dc:a011 Lexar Media, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 12d1:1446 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E1552 (HSPA modem)

so the Huawei modem is seen. So far so good. Now I try to install wvdial, but every time I do
pacman -S wvdial

I get resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "xplc", a dependency of "wvstreams"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
wvdial

and if I do pacman -S xplc, I get
error: target not found: xplc

So it seems xplc package is missing. I've used out of box setup from arch linux, any idea how I can get this xplc?
kaminar

Postby stevecarloss » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Supurb shout NiceBloom.

Suggest anyone having issues because they don't have gigalan. If you have WIFI put the stick into a Linux box(or any pc with using a liveboot distro). Log in as root and update the image as suggested by nicebloom above. Took me 2 mins and works a treat. ;)
stevecarloss

Postby GrepBeer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi, I'm been using Archlinux on the Iomega for a moment now, but it didn't work via eth0 as a lot of others, so i used wlan0.

However, I'd like to know if some know from where the problem comes, and how to resolve it (because I prefer ethernet rather than Wifi). (Ps : I've tried a lot of stuff, but I've never been able to connect by ssh with only eth cable on Archlinux)

Also, about the leds, how is the advancement doing ? I'm afraid that while blinking, one day she'll just break.

Anyway, thanks for the work (Arch and Debian seems to be the only 2 well-ported distros on the iconnect, right ?). :)
GrepBeer

Postby igorert » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('GrepBeer', 'H')i, I'm been using Archlinux on the Iomega for a moment now, but it didn't work via eth0 as a lot of others, so i used wlan0.

However, I'd like to know if some know from where the problem comes, and how to resolve it (because I prefer ethernet rather than Wifi). (Ps : I've tried a lot of stuff, but I've never been able to connect by ssh with only eth cable on Archlinux)

If you just followed this guide as it currently exists, you're booting the kernel for Marvell RD-88F6281 Reference Board. iConnect is based on it but is somewhat different; in particular, it doesn't have eth1 ethernet port and the initialization of eth0 is slightly different. It's similar enough that it mostly works when connected to a GigE switch but a fair number of people have reported problems with 100Mbps switches.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'A')lso, about the leds, how is the advancement doing ? I'm afraid that while blinking, one day she'll just break.

I'll try to make another post summarizing what can be done with iConnect after the basic install. In short, the only currently available mechanism is to change the arcNumber so that iConnect-specific kernel is booted, which will also solve the eth0 problem ("pacman -S uboot-env" to install fw_printenv/fw_setenv but be careful - this overwrites /etc/fw_env.config). The drawback - you will no longer be able to boot back to iomega stock kernel when you take out the Arch USB stick. I have the code for controlling LEDs that doesn't require changing the arcNumber but the archlinuxarm maintainers are (justifiably) against including it into Arch kernel distribution and I am currently not very motivated to make it build outside kernel sources as nobody has expressed much interest in that.
igorert

Postby Conn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Hello all,

I've followed the steps here and ArchLinux installed with success! It's a great guide even for a newbie like myself. Thank you for everything. Now to my question :

- After installing and running Arch on iConnect, the blinking light bugged me so much I've tried to "convert" the USB stick to Debian. I've replaced the uImage and placed "modules" in place. After rebooting I was able to control the leds as described here : http://www.kroonen.eu/wiki/Controlling%20LEDS

But I get a lot of error messages during boot, which makes sense as they are from a different distro. Now did anyone do this? If I show my "dmesg" can anyone help me to fix it?

Project : I'm trying to connect an Arduino (with motors and sensors) and control it via wireless.

TIA,
Conn
Conn

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Sounds like archNumber needs updated, and maybe some LED code changed to match.

Other than that, we're not debian.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Conn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:20 pm

I know we're not Debian but I wanted to do it without changing the archNumber so I tried to do this one instead.

Can we change it on ArchLinux as simple as this :

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'echo 255 > /sys/class/leds/power_blue_led/brightness')
Conn

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Since /sys/class/leds/* requires a driver that links to the GPIOs.. that's what the archNumber does, tells it which GPIOs are which led.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices