Toshiba AC100

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: Toshiba AC100

Postby pibach2 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:45 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('macau', '
')i have 2.2 bootloder and working suspend, so there are ubuntu-specific bug ;)

Ok, good to know, thanks. But how can that be Ubuntu specific? The other explanation is that you are using newer kernel (which somehow is not ready for Ubuntu yet). I am investigating the options:
a) fix/improve my Ubuntu install. That would mean I have to change the bootloader to Android 2.1 , strange.
b) when there are general advantages of Arch over Ubuntu on the AC100 I would switch towards that. But that would mean a lot of change I got accustomed to. Also Ubuntu Oneiric is now official for the AC100, I am expecting a lot of progress from that. Let's see. Zram support seems to be there already. Anyway my Ubuntu (minimal+LXDE) install is quite fast and stable. Would be interesting to have some benchmark comparisons.
c) or maybe a Debian install would be advisable? For getting some 20% hard float FPU performance improvement?

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')about ram:
try opening 20 tabs at x86 machine with 512M of ram in chromium and see how much ram eat that monster :lol:

Which browser are you using? Firefox 7 seems to be more frugal with Ram. But Chromium is much faster when scrolling (smooth scroll extension). I also tried Midori, but not much difference in terms of speed or memory usage to Firefox,

Anyway, I can have 20 tabs in Chromium on the AC100, no problem. It fills up the Ram, ok. But problems occure only when there is concurrent access to the MMC with writes blocking the rest. Some install, for example. Or open/write an .odt document. I know that might be borderline for the AC100, but hey, why not :D it's a fantastic device, can do allmost everything!
pibach2

Postby macau » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:20 pm

in ubuntu-official kernel little older than in git, so they havent some fixes\features. chromium14 in extra little slowly than my own chromium15 (u can find pkgbuild and package in packages threard) ;)
also now i went from arch in to debian armhf, bks they have kde4 and can say, that deb with kde work much faster and smoother then ubuntu-armel and same as arch with lxde. but they haven cromium :(
macau

Postby jideel » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:21 am

Guys,
Just a message to thank you.
I own an AC100 for almost a year now, and have since struggling with unusable default 2.1/2.2 Android, weird russian android versions and crappy Ubuntu...
I reached a point where i was balancing between selling it to someone else, but nobody wanted it, and dropping it to the wall...
And then, by chance i found archlinuxarm.
I tried macau instructions, and i'm now writing from the AC100, using the latest marvin kernel, XFCE and Chromium (SD card, internal soon).
It's quite stable and usable.
Of course, there's still some things i can't get to work, backlight dimming, suspend, battery life, ec_odm and so on, but i can live without, and i'm confident in your ability to bring it sooner or later.
I even managed to get the Go compiler working, so i can happily coding with it, wich was the main objective one year ago.
So THANK YOU and keep up that damn good work !
jideel

Postby pibach2 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:26 am

Some news on my Ubuntu install:
+ zram now works
+ Suspend/Resume works (with kernel parameter patch)
+ sound via speakers is on its way, see here
pibach2

Postby benob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Same on the archlinux side:
- compiled the dc61519 kernel
- activated zram which works perfectly (I also setup a swap on the internal mmc)
- modified the kernel command line to expose /dev/mmcblk0p2 (which holds the kernel)
- used abootimg to install/update the kernel (I made a pkgbuild available in the AUR)

Suspend works fine. I didn't try sound yet but I will soon.
My only problem is the mouse and keyboard sending spurious events. Does anyone have the same issue? Is there a fix for it or is it a hardware bug? My ac100 model is ac100-114 (French 16G).
benob

Postby macau » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:18 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('benob', '
')My only problem is the mouse and keyboard sending spurious events. Does anyone have the same issue? Is there a fix for it or is it a hardware bug? My ac100 model is ac100-114 (French 16G).

in dmesg? u can rmmod evbug or disable it in kernel config
macau

Postby jideel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:02 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 's')purious events

I sometimes also experience this kind of issue (AC100-114 16G french too), mainly with the touchpad. It behaves likes it was trying to select an area. It was noticeable using the ogra kernel, and almost disappeared with the lastest marvin. Not sure it it's related... I also changed the mouse sensibility settings in XFCE and it helped a bit. Keyboard is ok for me, with ou without using X.
About suspend, can someone explain how to get it working ? Is the kernel patch enough ? How do you test it, just fold the screen, or any command line utility ?
Thanks.
jideel

Postby macau » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:18 pm

just use last git commits. suspend, tp and kb works perfect.
for suspend u must configure your power manager or type "echo mem > /sys/power/state"
macau

Postby benob » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Just one more msg to confirm that I have evbug blacklisted and I am using the last kernel commit (no the -exp branch, though). Basically, I have massive input bugs when using the touchpad. I talked to the guys at #ac100 and they said that it is possible that the nvec driver is not perfect yet.
benob

Postby macau » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 pm

hmm. it strange. with
dc61519 and above i dont have any input issue or msg, all fine
macau

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices