Toshiba AC100

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: Toshiba AC100

Postby Flak » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi,
I have installed ArchLinux on my ac100, using 2.6.38.3-dc61519 kernel, then I install wicd for wireless network (using my usb flash drive to copy all needed packages from repo and `pacman -U` command) next I wanted connect to my network (wicd-curses) but no networks was found (There is some belive me). When I press iwconfig there is wlan0, iwlist wlan0 scan shows "Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down". So I pressed ifconfig wlan0 up, and shows "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory" and I stuck. I couldnt install more packages without internet connection. Can some one help me?

Regards
Mariusz

Edit:
I've found this in my dmesg:

phy0 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error

but no firmware for this in repo.
Flak

Postby jideel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:57 pm

The firmware is missing.
Grab this file : http://archlinuxarm.org/armv7h/core/lin ... pkg.tar.xz , transfer it using the sd card or a usb key, and use pacman to install it (pacman -U /path/to/linux-firmware-20110822-1-any.pkg.tar.xz).
It did the trick for me.
jideel

Postby benob » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:47 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Flak', 'H')i,
I have installed ArchLinux on my ac100, using 2.6.38.3-dc61519 kernel, then I install wicd for wireless network (using my usb flash drive to copy all needed packages from repo and `pacman -U` command) next I wanted connect to my network (wicd-curses) but no networks was found (There is some belive me). When I press iwconfig there is wlan0, iwlist wlan0 scan shows "Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down". So I pressed ifconfig wlan0 up, and shows "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory" and I stuck. I couldnt install more packages without internet connection. Can some one help me?

Regards
Mariusz

Edit:
I've found this in my dmesg:

phy0 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error

but no firmware for this in repo.

You can use a usb cable to install the missing package.
On the pc:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
modprobe cdc_ether
ifconfig usb0 up
ifconfig usb0 10.0.0.1 (use a different subnet if your pc is already on 10.0.0.0/8)
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -I INPUT -s 10.0.0.1 0j ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
')
On the ac100:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
modprobe g_cdc
ifconfig usb0 up
ifconfig usb0 10.0.0.2
route add default gw 10.0.0.1
echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf
')
I am writing that from my memory so some commands might be different. You can probably find tutorials on sharing a connection through a usb cable on linux.

--- edit ---
On another topic, the latest kernel (ab23b46) has sound on external speakers and I guess it only comes from enabling CONFIG_NVEC_EVENT when compiling the kernel, which should work on older kernels.
benob

Postby Flak » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:02 pm

Thx for answers, it works!
Flak

Postby macau » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:57 am

Do we really need the kernel package?
i can try manage PKGBUILD for our ac100
macau

Postby jideel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:20 am

I experience weird behavior using wifi.
The two ways to get it working are either 1/ manually using wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd (i.e. "wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i wlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B") or 2/ using netcfg with net-auto-wireless.
Manually using wpa_supplicant allows to automatically reconnect to any of the networks specified in wpa_supplicant.conf, even (most times) when recovering from suspend (pm-suspend).
Method 2 works, but does not reconnect automatically. When it boots, it well finds the network and connects, but then i call pm-suspend, change location, reactivate, and then it does reconnect to the other location's network.
But anyway, it works, one way or other.
The problems occurs when i try to use either netcfg with any other method than net-auto-wireless, or netcfg with WEP + ad-hoc encryption (reproductible crash), or wicd (i installed all the required dependencies and followed the wiki, stopped any other network manager, and so on).
If i try to use any of these methods, the kernel crash-dump with "unable to handle kernel null pointer dereference" or "unable to handle kernel paging request". Can it be related to the wifi driver/firmware ? any idea ?
jideel

Postby macau » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:40 am

why not nm or wicd? with nm i can manage wifi or 3g modem witout any sex in console
macau

Postby macau » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:41 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jideel', '
')If i try to use any of these methods, the kernel crash-dump with "unable to handle kernel null pointer dereference" or "unable to handle kernel paging request". Can it be related to the wifi driver/firmware ? any idea ?

which kernel u use?
macau

Postby jideel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:54 am

boot-marvin24s-2.6.38-dc61519.p12.img from http://avolver.ru/ac100/kernels/.
I didn't tried nm because i don't always use X, sometimes i just stay in the console, it's enough for some tasks and use less ressources, but i still need to be connected.
I mainly discovered the issue while trying to use wifi tether from my android phone (no 3G in the AC100). Wifi-tether use ad-hoc mode and wep encryption.
jideel

Postby jideel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:49 pm

The ad-hoc part is fixed, at least when connecting manually (iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc channel 6 key s:$KEY essid $ESSID), the crda (central regulatory domain agent) package was missing, and i didn't had set the wireless-regdom file to the correct value. So the kernel was preventing the card from switching to ad-hoc mode, looks like by default this behavior is not authorized by regulatory (?).
But kernel crash-dump are still here, sometimes with netcfg, always with wicd...
jideel

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices