BB Infocast 8 / Chumby 8 -- Internet Media Displays

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

BB Infocast 8 / Chumby 8 -- Internet Media Displays

Postby bdmillan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:02 pm

This device has been around for about 2 years or so. Recently the company providing the servers that distribute content has gone out of business. It comes with 2 usb ports, an internal uSD slot and an external CF/SD slot. The company says it is a Marvell PXA168 processor but the ID on the chip says 88AP166S so perhaps it is a 166. /cat/proc/cpuinfo calls it a PXA168 and an "Marvell Mohawk". Device has two speakers and an 8" touchscreen. 128meg RAM.

What might it take to get ALARM running on this?

Thanks for any feedback.

Brian
bdmillan

Re: BB Infocast 8 / Chumby 8 -- Internet Media Displays

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:17 pm

It should be able to run the v5 rootfs, assuming the kernel & modules provide what is needed. We may even have a kernel for the pxa's somewhere.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby bdmillan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks. I'll post results when I muddle through it. Something strange about the boot partition for this device.

Brian
bdmillan

Postby Philoo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:34 am

got one a couple month ago. Touchscreen was dead even w/ original firmware. Quick research showed that this is a quite common issue.
Returned it and got a refund after 3 days.

EDIT: Chumby (and bestbuy) actually provide a LOT of things to help hacking this kind of device, kernel and TS driver. also checking the chumby forums (forii ?) you can get a lot of tips and tricks wrt the differents drivers.
Philoo

Postby GrizzlyAdams » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:09 am

I've been working on this off and on for a while. It requires an updated kernel, which means porting the drivers forward from the chumby provided sources, to a more recent 3.x series kernel. I've gotten it to the point right now where it panics very early in bootup, with minimal drivers enabled. There is a 2.6.3x kernel available as part of the kosagi netv sources, but it probably needs some changes to make it work on the infocast and I'm not sure what all they are.

Evolution of the chumby devices based on the 800MHz Marvell Armada 16x / Mohawk / Kirkwood:
infocast 8" -> silvermoon platform
chumby 8" -> silvermoon/opus platform
kosagi netv -> silvermoon/kovan platform
GrizzlyAdams

Postby bdmillan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:41 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('GrizzlyAdams', 'I')'ve been working on this off and on for a while. It requires an updated kernel, which means porting the drivers forward from the chumby provided sources, to a more recent 3.x series kernel. I've gotten it to the point right now where it panics very early in bootup, with minimal drivers enabled. There is a 2.6.3x kernel available as part of the kosagi netv sources, but it probably needs some changes to make it work on the infocast and I'm not sure what all they are.

Grizzly if I can help test, I am happy to do so. I have an infocast 8. Thanks for the reply.
bdmillan

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices