Droid Overlay: Arch in Android without chroot

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Droid Overlay: Arch in Android without chroot

Postby AlexanderR » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:37 am

Droid Overlay is independent Arch Linux ARM-based GNU distribution, working without chroot in similar fation to Debian Kit and BotBrew (uses custom cross-compiled glibc and stock Android kernel). Unlike it's competitors Droid Overlay is Arch Linux-based, with Pacman as package manager of choice and makepkg-based build system. Also it is 100 times more KISS, quicker and more bug-free :)

Current release of Droid Overlay features moderate number of binary packages. It is proven to be possible to install packages from ALARM repositories, but this still needs more testing. This release aims at Arch users, who may be interested in testing Droid Overlay and providing basic feedback, regarding it's current state and desirable direction of it's developement.

Sourceforge project page (New: see screenshots!)
Project wiki

If you want to help project, read this page for list of ways to do that.

Current status: as of release 0.5 23 from 53 base packages are ported and all necessary PKGBUILDs can be found in AUR.
Last edited by AlexanderR on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AlexanderR

Re: Droid Overlay: Arch in Android without chroot

Postby AlexanderR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:24 am

Droid Overlay 0.4 released

Lots of packages are now available in binary form. You still have to install makepkg and pacman wrappers from project git repository (binary packages will be available soon EDIT: already done).
AlexanderR

Postby AlexanderR » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Droid Overlay 0.5 released

More packages are ported, and installing "base" group from repository provides almost functional (but a bit buggy) environment. It is already possible to log in as unprivileged user and install and run in chroot software from Arch Linux ARM repositories, but there are still be few minor glitches in that functionality. Generally, this release is closer to being functional than any of previous, and I urge everyone to start trying it out and describe your expirience here.

PS Right now I am playing Dungeon Crawl in terminal emulator on my tablet ;) No joking!
AlexanderR

Postby peteraz » Sun May 26, 2013 2:21 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'D')roid Overlay 0.4 released

Lots of packages are now available in binary form. You still have to install makepkg and pacman wrappers from project git repository (binary packages will be available soon EDIT: already done).

Hey alex where can I fidn the latest version of Droid Overlay? Do you know if the bugs have been sorted in the new release?
peteraz

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices