NSA320 uBoot Question

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

NSA320 uBoot Question

Postby eas » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:18 pm

I have a Zyxel NSA320 that I want to install a linux distro on.

I've gained access to the root shell account using the telnet backdoor, and I've read through the Arch install script linked off the main archlinuxarm.org site, but I still have a few questions.

First: As I understand it, the Arch install script installs Arch on HDD and updates the uboot environment to boot the HDD, leaving the uboot and the os in the firmware untouched. What happens if I pull out the HDD with Arch installed on it? Will it (somehow) automatically boot the stock OS, or do I have to use a serial console to change the uBoot environment back to boot from stock? I am assuming it is the latter, is that correct?

Second: Does anyone have a good summary of the capabilities of the stock uBoot? I get the sense that a netcosole isn't supported, but that booting from SATA is.

Any pointers to specific information about how to install a fuller-featured uBoot, ideally without needing a serial connection, separate from installing a new OS.

Fourth: Any advice on what suitable serial cable to buy, ideally one that I could attach to a Mac over USB.

Thanks!
eas

Re: NSA320 uBoot Question

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:52 pm

The process does indeed set it to boot to sata. Now: its' quite simple to change back. Setup fw_setenv, and then use the below to tell the uboot to set itself to stock.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'fw_setenv bootcmd to_stock')
To go beck to linux, to the reverse.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'fw_setenv bootcmd to_linux')

If you yank the HDD, it will crap out, looking for the HDD. The stock uboot is quite limited, with no hush, scripting, netconsole, etc. Simply replacing the drive with one that has been prepared, will grant you the ability to boot again.

I don't have any Apple products, but I use FTDI & CA-42 cables.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby eas » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

I think I'll start by figuring out how to replace the uboot, and order a serial cable to have on hand incase I mess something up.
eas

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:33 pm

If I can get a hold of Davygravy's uboot code, I will make a clean process for it.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby eas » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:22 pm

A clean, automated way to update to a more capable uBoot on the NSA 320 would be very handy for people dipping their toe in alternative firmwares for the first time. I think the NSA320 deserves more attention than it currently gets. It may not be as cheap as the older pogoplugs and Dockstars, but it is pretty much the cheapest Dual SATA option, and comes with more RAM (512MB) than any of the other contenders.

For my part, I think I'm just going to charge ahead, since I never intended to use the stock firmware in the first place.

For what it is worth, my understanding is that the binary version of the uBoot in davygravy's debian installer has trouble booting the stock firmware ( http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,8716 ). Doesn't look like he has a fork with his changes up on github.
eas

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 am

Yeah, I am waiting for sources :roll:
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby nsa325guy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:13 am

I've bought an NSA325 to Arch.

I too don't have a serial connection, and I chose the NSA325 for the higher spec after using Arch on Pogoplugs and goflex net and homes.

There have only been two posts regarding this machine,range, and i'm a bit apprehensive to go ahead, due some of problems highlighted.

If I go ahead and attempt an install as outlined in the instructions (without a serial cable to hand) and somehow totally goose the installation, is it possible to recover if I buy a bus pirate and connect to the board?
nsa325guy

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Bus pirate is overkill, but yes, my method does not damage the stock installation's boot procedure or change the process with which stock boots. It simply changes it to boot off the HDD.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby eas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:06 pm

I am waiting on my serial cable before updating the uBoot. In the meantime, I may try using the uboot environment from your easy install to try and boot Debian off of USB.

We'll see how it goes.
eas

Postby nsa325guy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:03 am

So. What happens if I pull out an installed HD ? Will it default back to Zyxel firmware.?#

Sorry for the newbness !
nsa325guy

Next

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices