ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Postby flesh1911 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 am

Hi guys. Just want to share a piece of information: my Samsung ARM Chromebook haven't had that metal circle around the screw hole, which protects the flash chip. All I had to do to make flash writable is just unscrew that screw, closest to USB 3.0 port. After that flashrom.google worked OK.

BTW, have anybody tried to use libhybris with Nexus 10 Android drivers to get access to 3d/hw video decoding?
flesh1911

Postby a3e6u9 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:59 am

This bug report now says "fix released":
https://bugs.launchpad.net/chromebook-arm/+bug/1085596

Has it really been fixed?
I don't even understand what that fix is, did they fix the armsoc driver or what? If so, for what version?
a3e6u9

Postby doragasu1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:10 pm

It looks like some people got success using accelerated compiz and some applications (chromium, quake3, etc). But it's not clear how to get it working. I tried replicating the steps to get chromium using EGL (chromium --use-gl=egl), but when I try opening "chromium://gpu-internals" tab, it fails to show.

EDIT: Now GPU information is shown with chrome://gpu, and no longer with chrome://gpu-internals. Tried it and it shows chromium is working in software mode only :(

I tried it with XFCE with compositor disabled, and also with chromium --use-gl=egl, but no luck.

Also in the console, the following errors are displayed:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '$ chromium --use-gl=egl
Failed to open /proc/cpuinfo
[643:684:0715/161528:ERROR:connection.cc(742)] sqlite error 11, errno 0: database disk image is malformed
[643:684:0715/161528:ERROR:connection.cc(742)] sqlite error 11, errno 0: database disk image is malformed
[643:684:0715/161529:ERROR:connection.cc(742)] sqlite error 11, errno 0: database disk image is malformed
[643:643:0715/161532:ERROR:CONSOLE(472)] "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'addEventListener' of null", source: chrome://gpu/gpu_internals.js (472)
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate')

/proc/cpuinfo errors are weird. I can cat it without a problem. Also I'm wondering why are these sqlite errors popping up...

Another edit: I have noticed I'm using FBDEV driver, I suppose you have to use armsoc driver for this to work, but I tried uninstalling xf86-video-fbdev and installing xf86-video-armsoc, without success: X doesn't even load :(

And another edit: Configured X to use armsoc driver. It is slow, and chromium does show the same errors. There is a maybe important difference though: when using armsoc driver, chromium shows different errors for the DRI module:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Failed to open /proc/cpuinfo
[1043:1043:0715/164506:ERROR:CONSOLE(472)] "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'addEventListener' of null", source: chrome://gpu/gpu_internals.js (472)
libEGL warning: failed to create a pipe screen for armsoc
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to open armsoc (search paths /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri)
Failed to open /proc/cpuinfo')

It tries loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri, and this module doesn't exist...
doragasu1

Postby doragasu1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:58 am

Does anyone have access to the files inside a Chromeos install? I'm stupid, and I didn't back them up before removing Chromeos. I only created a dd image of the entire eMMC disk, and I'm not able to mount it. It would be interesting to have it just to grab the propietary drivers.

I also downloaded the recovery file, but again, I have a .bin file I don't know how to mount ("mount -o loop ..." errors).
doragasu1

Postby a3e6u9 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('doragasu1', 'D')oes anyone have access to the files inside a Chromeos install?

I still have Chrome OS. Which files do you want?
a3e6u9

Postby flesh1911 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:00 pm

BTW, there is this Google script for preparing SD card to recover ARM Chromebook.
https://support.google.com/chromeos/answer/1080595?hl=en
Most likely it'll download ChromeOS image from Google servers, so we can get access to ChromeOS rootfs.
flesh1911

Postby sbondaryev » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi all,

I've completely replaced Chrome OS with ArchARM.
Bios was also replaced with another one provided in this forum earlier (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4016&start=80#p29341).

Currently, i have a problem with sleeping mode though, knowing as a "sleep of death"
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 83PrfSH0NI)

There are also the same problems mentioned here (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4016&start=170#p32868)

Does anybody face the same problems and knows the solution for this issues using Linux tools?

Thanks
sbondaryev

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:30 pm

It may have to do with the order in which the display is turned on/off during the suspend cycle.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby flesh1911 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:46 am

Just try to close lid and open again - works for me. Also make sure, that DPMS and screen blanking are off by issuing
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'xset s off
xset -dpms')
Last edited by flesh1911 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flesh1911

Postby sbondaryev » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:58 am

thanks, it fixes the problem with a "sleep of death".

any thoughts about the random auto-turn on while lid is closed?

i think the problem is that the lid just touches the keyboard so once you press on the lid, eventually it tapes some buttons on the keyboard which leads a wake up.

the solution can be to deactivate a keyboard somehow (maybe using /etc/acpi/handler.sh) while the lid is closed

any suggestions?

== UPDATED ==
it's rether the touchpad who wakes up the notebook
i've tried the solution https://gist.github.com/shamil/4513613
so the command
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'xinput disable 7 ')
disabes the touchpad for X11 but it's still active for awaking

are there the possibility of disabling in some lower level?
sbondaryev

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices