ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Postby doragasu1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:40 am

Guess what... a new problem arised :cry:

I cannot upgrade arch. As expected, this problem with the filesystem appears. I have tried following the steps pointed in the guide, but even the first one fails (pacman cannot determine the owner of /bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin). Anyway, as it's a fresh install, I suppose I can go directly to step 5, because there should be no "foreign" binaries inside these directories. But when I try step 5, it fails because it tries to upgrade glibc, and glibc depends on a newer filesystem. I tried to also ignore glibc (and a few other packages depending on glibc), and the upgrade broke the system O_oU.

If anyone is able to upgrade the distro from a fresh install, please detail how you did it. Maybe I should be able to do it if I manually upgrade glibc and/or filesystem to a intermediate version, but I cannot find such packages to test, as I have no cache to look in...
doragasu1

Postby TheCrownedFox » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:40 pm

I'm having the exact same issue, I haven't found a way around it either.
TheCrownedFox

Postby doragasu1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:41 pm

I reported the problem in GitHub. I hope developers can fix it soon, my Chromebook is unusable until then :?
doragasu1

Postby pepedog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:11 pm

There is a way to limp along if you broke the system, if you haven't rebooted, I will give a hint
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/usr/lib/ld-2.17.so /usr/bin/pacman -Syu ')
Along the way you might have to create a libarchive symlink
As it's broken --force of pacman, glibc, and filesystem can't harm. You might have to repeat
pepedog
Developer

Postby JudgeGregg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:23 am

Yesterday I think I managed to update my Chromebook image.
I can now reboot and log in, however I probably did something wrong since I can't get the wifi running:
It says WPA authentication failed and the kernel echoes a message about something wrong in /home/chrome-bot/.../wireless/core.c

In order to update the image I did the following:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
pacman -Syy

pacman -Su --ignore filesystem, bash, glibc

')
It complained about firmware files IIRC, I then moved then as *.old and retried
Due to the missing dependencies I skipped a lot of packages (50%)

Before updating bash, I moved all the remaining binaries from /sbin, /bin, and /usr/sbin to /usr/bin, except for the ones that were already present due to the above update.

I then deleted the 3 directories and symlinked them to /usr/bin as stated in the various posts on Arch forums and Raspi forums.
I was then able to install bash:
pacman -S bash
')

However it did not automatically install filesystem and glibc, so I went for a :

pacman -S glibc
')

which installed both FS and glibc.

Finally, and that might be my mistake, I did a
pacman -Su --force
')
to upgrade the remaining packages.
Pacman complained about dbus using process 197, but the rest went apparently fine.
Pacman created 8 or 9 pacnew files, including /etc/shadow and /etc/group !!

I then rebooted, could login, but not connect with wpa_supplicant, as stated above.

HTH, however I'm still very new to Arch Linux, and I might have done several mistakes during this upgrade process.

EDIT: when I try connecting with wifi-menu, the errors messages look like the ones in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5021

I'll take a look at it tonight.

EDIT 2: It works !
Just followed the guidelines on
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_Supplicant
and I'm back online.
JudgeGregg

Postby doragasu1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Hum... I have to give it a try. Thanks a lot for the in-depth explanation!
doragasu1

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:56 am

I actually rebuilt from scratch off the newer omap tarballs, and have had no issues. Mind you, this is me we're talking about :geek:

I've got it running ChromeOS in dev mode, with ctrl-u to boot off an 8GB USB nub, and signed the linux-chromebook package to boot that way :)

Instructions to come as I dig up time.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby doragasu1 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Followed the steps pointed by JudgeGregg, and also managed to update the system. Thanks!!!

I'm installing XFCE and I have a problem. Touchpad works, but sensitivity is horrible. It's almost unusable. Is there any fix for this?

Also, how can I change screen brightness?

EDIT: I got brightness working. I wrote a small script using xfpm-power-backlight-helper to increase/decrease brightness in small steps, assigned it to CTRL+SHIFT+F6/F7 and it's working perfect. Now my biggest issue is with the touchpad, it's very unresponsive. Some times I have to press it firmly to make it work, specially when moving up/down.
doragasu1

Postby JudgeGregg » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi doragasu1.

Have you tried installing xf86-input-cmt [1], or xf86-input-synaptics [2] ?

I haven't had time to work on my Chromebook yet, but I'll keep you posted as soon as I do.

[1]http://craigerrington.com/blog/installing-arch-linux-with-xfce-on-the-samsung-arm-chromebook/
[2]http://blogs.arm.com/software-enablement/848-running-linux-on-the-series-3-chromebook/

EDIT: There seems to be a special configuration needed for the touchpad in Xorg.conf.
Take a look at step 14 from [2] and the post on the first page of this thread by relghuar.
JudgeGregg

Postby doragasu1 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Again, thanks a lot for help. Added the 50-touchpad.conf file, and now touchpad sensitivity is just perfect. Theres is still an issue with the touchpad. Two finguer tap is supposed to be mapped to right click, and three finger tap is supposed to be mapped to middle click, but at least in my machine, this behaviour is reversed: I have to do three finger taps to send right clicks, and two finger taps to send middle clicks...

I would like also to get the page up/down, home and end key maps with ALT + cursor keys... is there a tutorial explaining how to do it?
doragasu1

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices