ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Postby simonbp » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 am

Well then I'm definitely doing something wrong. I'd really like to know what it is, as I've been fighting for a few months now.

On my most recent install, I followed the basic procedure on here:

http://blogs.arm.com/software-enablemen ... hromebook/

I used this rootfs:

http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/omap/Arch ... tfs.tar.gz

I ignored the ALSA and touchpad stuff and initially installed the kernel from ChromeOS beta channel. I then booted to Arch, uninstalled linux-omap and linux-headers-omap, did a pacman -Syu (using a USB ethernet adapter), and installed linux-chromebook, linux-headers-chromebook, and crda. I then rebooted back to ChromeOS and installed the Arch kernel to the SD card. Reboot back to Arch and try the wireless with wpa_supplicant and it fails.

How does that differ from what you did?
simonbp

Postby EMKLI » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:25 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('EMKLI', 'T')hank you, i guess i got it. Since this is a fresh installation, there aren't any aur packages. But i indeed ignored the wpa supplicant and libnl. When i did this all the first time, i forgot to ignore them and this was the only time it worked for me... Well, lets hope that i can connect to the wifi afterwards... I guess this wpa bug is still alive?

wpa_supplicant and libnl weren't the problem (in fact they aren't updated anyway because they have glibc as a dependency), I still experience the same failure. glibc is shown as owner of /lib by pacman, which still exists when i try to update filesystem. So for now, i'm definitely out of ideas...

Edit: damn, i'm an idiot...

I never tried to update filesystem and glibc TOGETHER... I always tried to update filesystem FIRST and glibc AFTERWARDS... This resulted in the "/lib already exists" error. Now it is solved and i can still ignore wpa_supplicant. Wonderful!
EMKLI

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:31 pm

When I made my image, I essentially cheated, and used the SD image on my USB drive, then fixed the gpt table, started from scratch on the rootfs partition via a chroot. (for which the process was essentially the same)

I then packed & signed linux-chromebook, and wrote it to the appropriate partition, and rebooted. Viola. I am still not seeing WPA2 failures. Nasty laggishness, sure. Possibly disconnecting and reconnecting in the background.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby simonbp » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Well then I don't know what is wrong. Will there be a new Chromebook rootfs/image posted soon? I bet it's something small I'm missing, but won't find manually searching...
simonbp

Postby kmihelich » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:56 am

New installation instructions are posted on the main site. This is an entirely new method that involves a lot more work by the end user, instead of just blindly writing an image file. It's our hope that with these instructions, people will better understand what is going on with the installation, and will be able to better debug and customize it to their needs.

Right now the instructions are written so that you can complete the entire process from a Chromebook, installing to a USB drive or SD card. The process uses the nv-u-boot bootloader, so you're able to use the kernel we have in our repositories instead of the ChromeOS kernel.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby simonbp » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:01 am

Ha! I tried the new install directions, did a "wifi-menu mlan0" immediately on first login, and it worked! Thanks kmihelich! :P

That said, I am now getting the constant disconnect/reconnect issues that WarheadSE has described. It manifests itself by constantly outputting a scan of current BSSIDs to the terminal.
simonbp

Postby krrishnarraj » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Has anyone tried 3.10? I built it using exynos_defconfig. there is no display after kernel boots.
What CONFIG did Arch use to build 3.4?
Latest kernel distributes by ArchLinux is working. Is it stock chrome kernel or 3.4 compiled?
krrishnarraj

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:30 pm

See githug.

PKGBUILDs/core/linux-chromebook for all your questions.

3.10 is newly finalized, and we will be working on that soon enough.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby doragasu1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:52 pm

It's great to hear you'll be working on 3.10 :)

Since I got rid of ChromeOS and installed Arch in the internal eMMC, I am very happy with this computer, but there is still a really annoying problem I have not been able to solve: when I power off and close the chromebook, it randomly auto-turns on. This never happened to me when ChromeOS was installed. Maybe a problem with nv-U-boot?
doragasu1

Postby kmihelich » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:19 pm

3.10 does not have all the required pieces for a functional system that are in Google's kernel source.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices