ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Postby Gary13579 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:55 pm

What about the CrOS setup is so different from a full traditional Linux install? The kernel/X11/mali driver should all work on Arch Linux installed natively. If Ubuntu can perform so well even if it is "mooching" off of Chrome OS, I see no reason why Arch cannot. They're both still Linux, utilizing the same underlying technologies. Just differing versions (with the one in ALARM repos being much less than optimal).

I feel like the problem in Arch would probably be X11. CrOS either uses an older version, or a patched version which performs better with the mali driver.

I also find it difficult to believe that X11 performance when scrolling and dragging is "fine" for you. Maybe you have lower expectations than I, but.. have you tried crouton? It makes the native ALARM install look unbearably slow.
Gary13579

Postby kmihelich » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:02 pm

Their display drivers are a custom conglomeration of bits and pieces we cannot use due to version conflicts and a massive stack of custom and heavily interdependent software, thus the graphical performance under Arch is not as good since we are just using the fbdev driver. You're free to actually do some research and try to bring in support.

You can also find difficult to believe whatever you want to. For me, scrolling inside chromium and other windows works quite acceptably well. It may not be as smooth as the CromeOS experience, but it is certainly entirely usable. If it's such a huge problem for you, just stop using Arch. No one here is forcing you.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby dhead666 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:19 pm

Pogoplug Series 4 - Network Storage and Music Server: NFS/TVHeadend
Cubox-i2 - Applications Server: Lighttpd/CherryMusic/HTPCManager/Transmission/Couchpotato/SickBeard/OpenVPN
Samsung Chromebook: Chroach in ChromeOS
dhead666

Postby ftravers » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:48 pm

@kmihelich: I believe what I posted is very similar to what is found inside the news group email from Strata. His instructions were fairly terse for a more beginner perspective. I just thought it might be helpful to try to put the instructions in a more central place than buried in a forum thread? Also thought someone might help flush it out to be more prescriptive. Bad decision?
ftravers

Postby ftravers » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:49 pm

I successfully installed and booted from the USB 2 port. However, when I now try to switch and install and run from either the USB 3 or SD card slot it doesn't work. Any thoughts?
ftravers

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:09 pm

USB 3 port is NOT supported by the u-boot, period.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:10 pm

From this point forward, use the appropriate location in the forum.

This is no longer a community supported device, and has been officially supported for some time.

Thread Locked.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Previous

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices