Cortex-A8 i.MX53 based SOC

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Cortex-A8 i.MX53 based SOC

Postby fplolz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Been lurking around these forums awhile now.. and i've recently got my hands on a Cortex-A8 i.MX53 based SOC

The link to the product is here.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'http://www.directindustry.com/prod/shenzhen-norco-intelligent-technology-co-ltd/industrial-motherboards-64126-932793.html')

Looking at it's specs, it seems pretty similiar to the i.MX53 Quick Start Board.. Was thinking of running arch linux on it.

It has a iMx53 proccesor .. 1 gig ram.. 2 ethernet ports.. and so on. It already has ubuntu 10.10 ( extremely old version) running on it's nand flash. So far, i've been trying to get it to boot from sdcard using the newer prebuilt images from ubuntu or linaro.. but no do.. it doesn't seem to detect it.

Would anyone have any idea how to get to it to run a newer version of linux from sdcard ? Do i need to change any parameters at uboot ?
fplolz

Re: Cortex-A8 i.MX53 based SOC

Postby xenoxaos » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:53 pm

You will probably have to modify uboot params. The i.MX53 is supported in newer kernels, but you might have to play around with making proper board files. You'll want to track down the source code for the kernel that's in there as a reference.

Good luck, stick with it, and you'll learn a lot in the process.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Re: Cortex-A8 i.MX53 based SOC

Postby fplolz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:52 am

Thank you for your response!

Just ordered a serial to usb cable to debug and stuff like that for the board :lol:
fplolz

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices