Odroid-X and shutdown

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Odroid-X and shutdown

Postby Oygron » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi all,

I am currently working with an Odroid-X with an Archlinux I installed on it.
First of all, thanks to the people who adapted Arch on this board, it is great.

My problem is with the shutdown command.
When I type:
"sudo shutdown -h now"
my bash history is not saved. My only way to keep it is to exit my session, ssh again and shutdown.

My hypothesis is that this shutdown process unmounts the SD card too quickly and some of the asked writings are not done. I say that because sometimes my history is saved, but it is very rare.

I suspect this to be the cause to my impossibility to execute other scripts on shutdown.

Does anyone has an idea of what may cause this?

And I don't know if it is the right place to ask, but would that be possible, for the developpers of this version of Archlinux, to switch the install image to systemd as initscripts will soon not be supported?

Thanks in advance,
Oygron
Oygron

Re: Odroid-X and shutdown

Postby xenoxaos » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm not entirely sure as to why the bash history isnt saved...but the initscripts->systemd is on my list of things to do.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby pepedog » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:32 pm

I have nearly made a systemd rootfs. Can't test as I don't have the device.
Things that might need attention is led in rc.local and possibly systemctl some sort of tty
Network is started by netcfg, and I found a bug where netcfg starts before hardware detected, found workaround.
pepedog
Developer

Postby pepedog » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:37 pm

I am going to have to redo image, original image didn't look like it would fit on my Kinson 8Gb card, used 16 Gb and dd will include spare partition
pepedog
Developer

Postby Oygron » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Speaking of leds, is "led1" used ? If not, I suggest using it to tell if the card is on or off. I made it on mine, and it avoids lots of confusion.

Little clues about the bash history:
- I'm not on root and use sudo (perhaps the poweroff system with root rights doesn't wait for the other users to finish their tasks);
- It seems that when the history is really small (one or two lines) sometimes it saves itself;
- Once or twice, after booting, the .bash_history was simply empty, that may come from an interruption while saving it.
- I tried a transition to systemd, and the problem is still there with the shutdown command (but I heard that I should use another command to shut it down).

Thanks
Oygron

Postby pepedog » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:57 pm

I get this on other systems too, even with user root.
With systemd the command is poweroff.
Tried sync before shutting down? I know history isn't pushed out of cache at this stage. When history is saved I see it as a bonus, not an expected thing. Must be too used to it.
pepedog
Developer

Postby Oygron » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Doing a sync before shutting down doesn't change anything (even put in rc.shutdown or rc.local.shutdown)...
Oygron

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices