[WIP] Asus Eee Pad Transformer native install

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: [WIP] Asus Eee Pad Transformer native install

Postby Gary13579 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:27 pm

I think mmcblk0p4 isn't where the kernel is actually stored. The blobpack tool compresses several partitions into a single blob for flashing to mmcblk0p4. The LNX partition is where the kernel/initramfs is stored (along with recovery?). When you flash a kernel via CWM, it just dd's the blob to mmcblk0p4, then when you reboot the tablet and get the progress bar, is when it actually copies it over to the LNX partition (wherever that is -- possibly outside partitions entirely).

This is what I've gathered from doing some quick Google searches at least. I'm betting using a non-touch CWM that I linked would fix it, though.
Gary13579

Postby sim590 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:40 pm

It has failed to flash again.

Just for curiosity, is rooting the tablet necessary at this point? Because, my android is not rooted, but I have managed to install cwm which gives me root access to the different file systems so there shouldn't be any permission problem, right?

EDIT
Since it flashed the 2.6.36 kernel, it shouldn't have no permission issue. What am I saying there!
sim590

Postby Gary13579 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Okay, scratch all of the above. The issue is definitely that the initramfs isn't properly setting up /dev/sda before trying to mount root. You're gonna need to tweak the initramfs into somehow loading the proper modules to make /dev/sda before then. initramfs is all black magic to me, and I haven't figured out what the issue is. Since when you were dropped to the console in initramfs on the older kernel/initramfs, and /dev/sda DID exist, chances are you can compare the differences between the two and hopefully spot the problem.

I may look at it more later.
Gary13579

Postby sim590 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:55 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Gary13579', 'W')ait... you wouldn't happen to be using an SBKv2 device, would you? When ASUS changed to SBKv2 to change the boot key, breaking our capability of using nvflash, they also started locking the bootloader, which should prevent you from flashing custom kernels. I'd be shocked if the bootloader accepts the custom bootimg.cfg but rejects the zImage kernel, but I guess it's a possibility worth mentioning.

I didn't see that post! Yes, my ASUS TF101 is SBKv2. Hmm.. so that could be an issue..
sim590

Postby Gary13579 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:55 pm

I tried booting with boot size 0x800000 and it works fine. When I tried to boot off of sd rather than microsd I got the same error. The problem is that sda block device isn't created until after initramfs tries to set root. My first attempt to fix it would be to set "rootdelay" in initramfs and see if that fixes it. If not, the problem is likely related to what modules are loaded in init.

Even with smaller bootsize I didn't get the lzma error so I'm not sure what that is about.
Gary13579

Postby sim590 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:50 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Gary13579', 'I') tried booting with boot size 0x800000 and it works fine. When I tried to boot off of sd rather than microsd I got the same error. The problem is that sda block device isn't created until after initramfs tries to set root. My first attempt to fix it would be to set "rootdelay" in initramfs and see if that fixes it. If not, the problem is likely related to what modules are loaded in init.

Even with smaller bootsize I didn't get the lzma error so I'm not sure what that is about.

What do you mean by you "got the same error"? Did it not flash or did it flash and it failed at boot? Because, what's strange is that I can't flash the 3.1.10 kernel, but I can flash 2.6.36 version. But I take note about the issue of the sda block not created soon enough. I'll try to find some tool for editing initrd.img. I'd be glad if you had some tools to advise.

EDIT
I've found how to extract the files but I have not found what to modify yet. I get:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
├────=[$ ll
total 6872
drwxr-xr-x 2 simon users 4096 29 déc 15:55 bin
drwxr-xr-x 3 simon users 4096 29 déc 15:55 conf
drwxr-xr-x 7 simon users 4096 29 déc 15:55 etc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 simon users 7230 29 déc 15:55 init
drwxr-xr-x 6 simon users 4096 29 déc 15:55 lib
-rw-rw-r-- 1 simon users 69 29 déc 15:55 README
-rw-rw-r-- 1 simon users 0 29 déc 15:55 README~
drwxr-xr-x 2 simon users 4096 29 déc 15:55 run
drwxr-xr-x 2 simon users 4096 29 déc 15:55 sbin
drwxr-xr-x 8 simon users 4096 29 déc 15:55 scripts
')
Where the init file is a shell script. I guess this script contains the routine that is executed at boot. So I need to modify something in there.
sim590

Postby sim590 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sim590', 'W')hat do you mean by you "got the same error"? Did it not flash or did it flash and it failed at boot? Because, what's strange is that I can't flash the 3.1.10 kernel, but I can flash 2.6.36 version. But I take note about the issue of the sda block not created soon enough. I'll try to find some tool for editing initrd.img. I'd be glad if you had some tools to advise.

Ok, I get it now.. it flashes with the file linux linux3.1.10+.img (regardless of the bootsize param, as you said earlier). Now the only errors I get are listed here:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sim590', '[')code]
Initramfs unpacking failed: LZMA data is corrupt
upli_phy_power_on: timeout waiting for phy to stabilize
upli_phy_power_on: upli write failed
tegra-ehci tegra-egci.1: Failed to power on the phy
g_ether gadget: rndis: can't bind, err 0
mxt_config_settings
power_supply dock_battery: driver failed to report `status' proterty
power_supply dock_battery: driver failed to report `status' proterty
sdhci-tegra sdhci-tegra.2
sdhci-tegra sdhci-tegra.2
sdhci-tegra sdhci-tegra.0
sdhci-tegra sdhci-tegra.0
Tegra protected aperture disabled because nvmap is using system memory
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
[... bunch of errors I don't want to type ...]
CPU1: stopping <------------------- this is weird, isn't it?
unwind: Unknown symbol address c0008364
unwind: Index not found c0008364
Light sensor: a13000a_interrupt_handler[/code]

Since the only difference between your method and mine seems to be the sdcard slot, the problem has to be there.. so I will try to modify the initrd.img or buy a micro sdcard when I'll be too depressed :( . Until then, I'll be searching on the web on how to do so and if I find out, I'll be posting the answer on this thread so people can know.
sim590

Postby sim590 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:16 pm

I've just started the process from begining with a micro SD card and it failed with the same error. I guess the problem seems to be in the file I'm flashing. It may not be flashed comepletly for some reason...
sim590

Postby x3maniac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 am

hi guys,
this is Novaspirit // x3maniac known from xda. i finally decided to install arch linux to the transformer tf101 and came pass this thread! thanks for the info. have you guys tired to run this with my 2.36.4 kernel?
x3maniac

Previous

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices