Info for tegra3 OEM board/Arch porting

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Info for tegra3 OEM board/Arch porting

Postby psydefects22 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:39 pm

hello all,

i am currently in the middle of building/tweaking a kernel for Tegra 3 tablet-OEM made by Pegatron, board name Chagall. This device (same exact device 100%) is sold branded as Viewsonic v710, LG 4X, probably as Transformer as pegatron is an Asus subsidiary, and some others. It was originally an Android device, ICS 4.0.3 IML74K build, kernel 2.6.39-5 ,some specs: T30s (1.4 max as uniprocessor/1.3 ghz quad-core version of tegra3) 1gb lp-ddr2,8mp rear-2mp front webcams,BT up to 4.0, wifi b/g/n , microSD, miniUSB, 10.1 inch 1280x800 mdpi ,and UMTS/HDSPA ,16gb internal eMMC.

This is an almost unused tablet which after some stressing up for a week or so made it to be left without wifi (wpa_supplicant bug) , every hard reset made it worse, lost keyboard, and after last hard reset doesn't boot up completely, it blacks out after 5 seconds showing the yellow android, the adb though shows all processes (except those who disappeared) in the background. SU binary is still in there after many hard-resets/wipes , busybox and ash are there too from some previous testing i did for some strange reason. It wouldn'tfeel right to just toss it after just 1 week, though i realized how unflexiblle and hyper-hyped the android os is, at least what i got as vanilla ICS 4.0.3. And i'm not a java fan nor a paranoid permissions fan as well and that android made me feel like i had very confined space to move around.

My problem is that i can't find specific info, being a kind of OEM board, except for nvidia developers site which is excellent in supporting their devices, in fact i got most of my drivers/codecs/examples etc there. If anyone has experience with this board , i could need some help with the bootloader setup, as i haven't found any direct info for that OEM, and i don't want to waste the bootloader too, so plz if anyone knows details for how this tablet boots so i can replace it/unlock it if locked etc, plz drop me a line.
And also if the Arch build for tegra 2 has been tested on tegra 3 boards and there are any specific issues it would be saving me a lot of time. I have drivers and sample kernels and filesystems for hp and armel both, tegra3 specific, though in need of heavy tweaking because of being developed for android. i can pass the code for testing too when it will be ready if anybody is interested.
Thanks for reading.
psydefects22

Re: Info for tegra3 OEM board/Arch porting

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 pm

You can use the base omap tarball, and BYOK (bring your own kernel). Getting past that point, you are going to need to run it off the SD until you are ready to rock from there, and you are best to build all SoC features into the kernel directly. If this has a serial tap, that would be very helpful for you.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby pepedog » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Is the base omap converted to systemd yet? If so it won't like a 2.6 kernel
pepedog
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 pm

2.6.39 is actually capable of systemd.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices