Samsung Chromebook

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Samsung Chromebook

Postby byteninja2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:00 pm

On the Samsung chromebook, on arch Linux arm, will it be installed over chrome os or will it just be on the sd card, and you can run chrome os if you take the sd card out?
byteninja2

Re: Samsung Chromebook

Postby tedm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:03 pm

If you follow the directions on this site, first you will need an card > 8GB, it should load only on the card, and each time you want to access it, just boot (in dev mode) and hit ctrl U. Ctrl D on boot, or just waiting 30 seconds will put you into standard ChromeOS (without OS verification).

The first time you go from standard ChromeOS into developer mode, you will wipe out any user data on the internal drive, this only happens the first time you go into dev mode, (unless you subsequently revert to normal mode, then go back to dev mode, again, it will wipe your internal drive of user data, and present an Out of Box system.

I have not yet installed arch on my samsung, I have ubuntu via crouton where I can toggle back and forth between ChromeOS and Ubuntu with keystrokes, but do look forward to trying out arm on the chromebook when I get a 16GB SD card later in the week.
tedm

Postby byteninja2 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:27 am

Okay, thanks. Now, how do I open up a terminal to do the command: crossystem dev_boot_usb=1
byteninja2

Postby byrdman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 pm

here are the steps:
1) hit Control + Alt + T
2) type "shell"
3) type "sudo su"
4) crossystem dev_boot_usb=1
byrdman

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices