NSA320 web page info

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

NSA320 web page info

Postby somnorici » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Hello,

I used the instructions on http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/zyxel-nsa320 to brick my device. Luckily, I have a friend with a serial 3.3v adapter, and the knowledge to fix this and get the box back to the original state.

I greatly appreciate the work done by the arch linux/arm team, having contributed to the linux kernel myself in the past. But please, please, please, PLEASE add some information on the nsa320 web page that lets people know about these key points:

- the process modifies the original firmware (or nvram parameters) - I for one don't want to void the warranty
- the box will not return to original state if the stick/harddrive are removed
- the process is still in beta and there are known issues, and in most cases a 3.3v serial cable is needed

I am aware that this information can be found in other areas of the site, however, Google searching points directly to the nsa320 page, and I think it is best to eliminate the risk that some people may never reach those other areas of the site and thus brick their devices before they realize what they just did. :)

As a side note, I have managed to use the usb scripts to start a chroot lenny from stick, and run apt-get update, and install sshd, nbd-server, and so on. This is using the original firmware 4.50 and kernel, not touching the firmware/nvram. Will post the details separately when I'm done fine-tuning it.

Cheers,
somnorici

Re: NSA320 web page info

Postby tech324 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:24 am

I am a little concerned with following the instructions as well. If you have instructions on running a chroot debian on the existing firmware, I would be interested in it. I am running firmware 4.50 on my nsa320.

If the instructions for installing arch linux on the nsa320 were more successful like they are with the pogoplug (I have multiple pogoplugs and never had an issue) then I may think about installing arch. I have ordered a serial cable just in case also.
tech324

Postby pepedog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:36 am

The changes to the uBoot only extend to the environment, easily put back as stock once you get an os running.
I got mine working without serial, so how about a pool of problems and how to overcome?
pepedog
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:56 pm

If you are going to use a chroot, then I might suggest ffunplug
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tech324 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm

I would rather use Arch Linux than Debian. I should have my serial cable by Friday, so I might start trying to move to Arch Linux.

For those that have installed without a serial, did you follow the steps from: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/zyxel-nsa320?

Also, is it best to install arch on a smaller drive? It seems in other threads people were having issues with 2TB and 3TB drives using the website instructions? Is this true? I was thinking of using a 250GB drive to install on.

It would be great if I can get this up and running without a serial. I plan on following the instructions on the website I listed above. If there is anything I must do before it will work, please let me know.
tech324

Postby somnorici » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:19 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('pepedog', 'T')he changes to the uBoot only extend to the environment, easily put back as stock once you get an os running.
I got mine working without serial, so how about a pool of problems and how to overcome?

Exactly: there are problems (some might consider them serious problems) and it would be VERY userful to many people to have at least a warning on the nas320 specific web page about the risks. I don't mean the standard "you're on your own", but a better disclosure of known issues.

Yes, it's easy to configure the box back, unless you're me. Then you're at 3am, without a serial 3.3v adapter, not too happy with opening up a brand-new in-warrranty box, without a 3.5" external enclosure, without a spare 2.5" harddrive that I could mount on the laptop and attempt to fix the filesystem so it can boot, and a nas320 that is configured to boot only from the internal harddrive which the usb script did not format/install properly. :) I'm ok with that, I just wish that I had seen a "warning: there are high chances that you may need a serial 3.3v cable to fix the box" on the website.

So.. who do I talk to, to get this info up? I saw that the bug reports are code-oriented, don't want to open a web site issue unless the developers are ok with it.

somnorici

Postby pepedog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Would it help if I gave instructions on how to partition, format, mount, and extract.
If you drown loaded the script before 15th March 2013 there needs to be an fstab entry to overcome read only file system.
Also the built in Ethernet can be troublesome, so a dongle version helps, and a little tweak to go with that.
All this assuming you can plug a sata drive into a Linux system. I never connected a serial to get working (2Gb WD green)

My drive running the installer would not mount anything, even fdisk and formatting anew didn't help, had to run parted on it to bring it to life
pepedog
Developer

Postby tech324 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Pepedog,
It would be great if you could provide detailed instructions on setting up the NSA320. I also have a WD 2TB green drive I want to use. Are you saying we may need to follow the instructions on the site yet we may also need to manually partition and format the drive? You also mentioned the ethernet port might not work, what does it take to get this working?

Also, is it possible to revert back to the stock firmware without a serial cable in case the install doesn't work properly?

Thank you
tech324

Postby pepedog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:10 am

OK. assuming drive is /dev/sdc
Install parted
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'parted /dev/sdc mklabel msdos')
Now partition (blank line is extra enter)
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'fdisk /dev/sdc
n
p

+16M

n
p

p
w')
Format
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mkfs.ext2 -L "boot" /dev/sdc1
mkfs.ext4 -L "rootfs" /dev/sdc2')
make dirs & mount
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mkdir -p /tmp/boot
mount -t ext2 /dev/sdc1 /tmp/boot
mkdir -p /tmp/rootfs
mount -t ext4 /dev/sdc2 /tmp/rootfs')
Get and untar filesystem
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'wget http://us.mirror.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz
tar xf ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz -C /tmp/rootfs/
cp -aR /tmp/rootfs/boot/* /tmp/boot/')
Add these to /tmp/rootfs/etc/fstab
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/dev/root / ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr 0 1')
I don't know if this next bit functions
Create file /tmp/rootfs/etc/tmpfiles.d/marvell-ethernet.conf with this content
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'w /sys/class/gpio/export - - - - 47
w /sys/class/gpio/export - - - - 49
w /sys/class/gpio/gpio49/direction - - - - out
w /sys/class/gpio/gpio49/value - - - - 1
w /sys/class/gpio/gpio47/direction - - - - out
w /sys/class/gpio/gpio47/value - - - - 1
w /sys/class/gpio/gpio49/value - - - - 0
')
sync and umount the 2 partitions
pepedog
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:15 am

Also, using fw_setenv would allow you to fix the RO in the bootargs
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Next

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices