Samsung Chromebook ARM - Arch in chroot (crouton port)

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: Samsung Chromebook ARM - Arch in chroot (crouton port)

Postby doragasu1 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:32 pm

I have just used the script and it has worked flawlessly. Thanks!

So far I have only a small problem. I want to set es_ES.UTF8 locale. I have set it in locale.conf, locale.gen and I have called locale-gen. Now if I start arch using "enter-chroot", everything works as it should. I get spanish language in the shell, and when I call startxfce4 from the arch shell, programs are also in spanish. But if I start arch using "startxfce4" from crosh, or even with "enter-chroot startxfce4", LANG variable is not set, and everything is in english. Why is this happening? Maybe a bug in crouton scripts?
doragasu1

Postby drinkcat » Thu May 23, 2013 3:42 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('doragasu1', 'I') have just used the script and it has worked flawlessly. Thanks!

So far I have only a small problem. I want to set es_ES.UTF8 locale. I have set it in locale.conf, locale.gen and I have called locale-gen. Now if I start arch using "enter-chroot", everything works as it should. I get spanish language in the shell, and when I call startxfce4 from the arch shell, programs are also in spanish. But if I start arch using "startxfce4" from crosh, or even with "enter-chroot startxfce4", LANG variable is not set, and everything is in english. Why is this happening? Maybe a bug in crouton scripts?

Thank you for the feedback. I know about this problem: even the default en_US.UTF8 is not applied correctly, and some characters looks strange without UTF-8. I have no idea why this is the case. I'll fix it when I have time, but of course if you can come up with a fix before that'd be awesome ,-)
drinkcat

Postby drinkcat » Thu May 23, 2013 3:51 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kdb424', 'I')'m quite interested in this, but I have an intel system. Any chance that you could add in support?

It shouldn't be too hard to add support, but I don't have a intel chromebook to test it on...

If you're willing to help, I can try to code in the dark, and get you to test the intel port (hopefully it shouldn't take too many iterations). You can open an Issue on github (https://github.com/drinkcat/chroagh/issues), and we can take it from there.
drinkcat

Postby kdb424 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:31 am

Posted an issue. I'd be glad to help test. Thank you very much.
kdb424

Postby tedm » Fri May 24, 2013 6:18 am

LANG gets set by crouton to en.UTF-8 LC_ALL doesn't get set. I think the LANG setting may have to be what ChromeOS is.

and locale doesn't really work in the chroot, but setting these env. variables in .bashrc has worked for me (when in bash apps).

I'd like to try -t arch but I don't know where it is, and don't have croagh installed. I don't need the copy clipboard feature, but would just like arch as a target ?

Thanks.
tedm

Postby drinkcat » Fri May 24, 2013 7:00 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tedm', 'L')ANG gets set by crouton to en.UTF-8 LC_ALL doesn't get set. I think the LANG setting may have to be what ChromeOS is.

and locale doesn't really work in the chroot, but setting these env. variables in .bashrc has worked for me (when in bash apps).

Ok, so maybe that's a more general problem that affects crouton as well.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tedm', '
')I'd like to try -t arch but I don't know where it is, and don't have croagh installed. I don't need the copy clipboard feature, but would just like arch as a target ?

Thanks.

You need chroagh to install arch, that's the whole point ,-) The master branch does not contain any extra features not found in crouton (I'm trying to merge them into crouton before updating chroagh/master).
drinkcat

Postby tedm » Fri May 24, 2013 2:25 pm

OK, let me know when it's merged, or available as a crouton target that will allow it to install alongside existing targets.

While writing my book: http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-the-Chrom ... chromebook

on both running linux as a chroot with Crouton, as well as booting Arch ARM straight from SD, I was amazed to find Arch so efficient, using almost no more processes or RAM than my ARM 5 Pogo install, and about 10x less memory than say Chrubuntu core. (But no hot-keying to chromeOS in this mode).

Look forward to trying it out when integrated. Thanks.
tedm

Postby drinkcat » Fri May 24, 2013 3:01 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tedm', 'O')K, let me know when it's merged, or available as a crouton target that will allow it to install alongside existing targets.

crouton and chroagh are compatible (enter-chroot and other helper scripts are the same, so there is no problem using one or the other to enter the chroot, start the window manager, etc.). Only the install scripts differ (chroagh can install arch and ubunutu, crouton can only install ubuntu).
drinkcat

Postby drinkcat » Fri May 24, 2013 5:13 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('drinkcat', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('doragasu1', 'I') have just used the script and it has worked flawlessly. Thanks!

Thank you for the feedback. I know about this problem: even the default en_US.UTF8 is not applied correctly, and some characters looks strange without UTF-8. I have no idea why this is the case. I'll fix it when I have time, but of course if you can come up with a fix before that'd be awesome ,-)

Fixed in git tree. This seems to be some sort of bug in bash/su, that affects Arch but not Ubuntu, as they have different ways of setting the locale.
drinkcat

Postby flakedave » Sat May 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Hey drinkcat,
I see that you're continuously polishing and adding features (samsung chromebook keyboard, just to name one), is there an easy way to update the chroot without losing too much of the configuration that I have done in the meanitime?
Cheers and thanks again,
flakedave

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices