NSA325 rebooting every couple of seconds (watchdog)

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

NSA325 rebooting every couple of seconds (watchdog)

Postby raumzeit » Sat May 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi all,

I just got my brand new NSA325 booting Arch. However, the login prompt in my serial console appears and right after, the watchdog seems to hard reset my box. I tried to figure out how to circumvent this by reading all related posts in the forum, but did not found any advise.

Can someone help me to keep my alarm running after boot?

Cheers

raumzeit

P.S.: I used the USB install method on the archlinuxarm.org website after I unsuccessfully tried to do it manually via serial console. This first attempt always got the box rebooting after typing only a very limited amount of all the commands needed. The USB method finally switched my box into the 'boot from sda2' mode but still I had to repartition and copy the file system on my desktop computer since I had this 4k sector issue.
Acer CB5-311, Asus Flip, Tinker Board, Samsung ARM Chromebook, NSA 325, ix4-300d, WandBoard Quad, Raspberry Pi B, BeagleBoard ...and a dead Pandaboard :sad:
raumzeit

Re: NSA325 rebooting every couple of seconds (watchdog)

Postby raumzeit » Sat May 18, 2013 11:10 pm

:geek: I found the (temporary) solution myself now.

A reboot from the stock kernel into the arch linux kernel did the job.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '

run to_stock

fw_setenv bootcmd 'run to_linux'

reboot

')

Since I had to manually partition the drive after all the setenv stuff happened, I switched it off. With the next boot the arch linux kernel booted and I never got rid of the annoying watchdog.

Is there a permanent solution in sight that ALARM handles the doggy by its own even after power-off?
Acer CB5-311, Asus Flip, Tinker Board, Samsung ARM Chromebook, NSA 325, ix4-300d, WandBoard Quad, Raspberry Pi B, BeagleBoard ...and a dead Pandaboard :sad:
raumzeit

Re: NSA325 rebooting every couple of seconds (watchdog)

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon May 20, 2013 1:36 am

Well, I am working on the official support thanks to a donor.

At the moment, this seems to be the way to dodge the watchdog. The hardware MCU has a ~ 10-15s timer on it @ power on, and the code from ZyXEL has something about flipping GPIO14. I'd like to point out however, that even the stock software takes a few shots to get booted with that damned thing. I am trying to whack it at the uboot level myself. Have yet to quite manage that though.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices