Compiling new module for iConnect advice

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Compiling new module for iConnect advice

Postby cr08 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:48 am

To make a long story short I have my iConnect that I would like to use as an impromptu tvheadend box. Namely I have a K-World UB435-Q ClearQAM/ATSC USB stick and tvheadend just pulls the bits straight off the line and streams to clients on the network. Without going into details, no I cannot realistically or reliably use it in any client machines. The only suitable option is the iConnect if I can get it functional.

I don't have the iConnect booted right now and it is buried in a corner so I will get to it sometime this morning and get more details. But what I have to go on right now is that the device is actually picked up and visible in lsusb but no kernel modules to work with it. According to the linuxtv wiki it is supported under linux as of kernel version 2.6.36 which the current installed kernel is quite ahead of (I think 3.8.xx or 3.9?). I assume that I do actually need a kernel module for it even if V4L is operating and supposedly supports it. I am currently running debian for personal comfort reasons but Arch seemed to be in the same boat when I looked at this and that the kernel module required for the stick (em28xx*.ko) is available in the kirkwood branch but no kernel versions in the repos match the custom kernel on the installed distribution.

I'll get the exact kernel version off the box when I get it booted back up but any ideas what I am looking at here to accomplish this? Am I just looking at compiling my own copy of the kernel and pulling the needed modules during that time? Can I possibly compile just the modules I need against the kernel or would it be easier to do the whole hog?
cr08

Re: Compiling new module for iConnect advice

Postby cr08 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:29 pm

I could have swore I replied earlier but must have goofed. The kernel version listed on here is 3.8.13-iconnect.
cr08

Postby jbrnd » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:51 pm

I've cross-compiled my own kernel for the iconnect several times and it's really not that bad. You can basically follow these instructions: http://www.kroonen.eu/wiki/Compile%20Kernel , except that you'd substitute a newer kernel instead of 3.5. You can also find a more up to date iconnect patch at http://www.congenio.de/infos/iconnect-3.9.patch .
jbrnd

Postby moonman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:58 am

So you are saying linux-kirkwood package soes not come with the necessary module? If you tell me the exact config option ill include it in the next release, or submit a pull request on github. Btw the kernel in repo atm is 3.9.7

EDIT: They seem to be supported already:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' <M> Empia EM28xx USB video capture support
<M> Empia EM28xx ALSA audio module
<M> DVB/ATSC Support for em28xx based TV cards
<M> EM28XX Remote Controller support')
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby cr08 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:58 am

Sorry for not replying back. For some reason the email notifications are not working for me here. :|

That is odd though that it is showing support there. So what am I looking at here? Should I go through and do a clean install of Arch, fully update it, and then plug in the stick and see if it populates?

EDIT: Ok. So now I remembered my thought processes on this. So the usb stick I have is either flaky or just doesn't like the ehci usb module (I get a 'hub 1-1:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2' error). Unfortunately it is baked in on the arch kernel. I tried debian and one of the available kernels (I believe the one off kroonen's site?) which has it as a module and switching from ehci to one of the other usb modules got it to be recognized but on THAT specific kernel the necessary modules for the usb stick were missing.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't. ><
Last edited by cr08 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cr08

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:52 pm

First off, check these to make sure the versions match.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
pacman -Qi linux-kirkwood
uname -a
')
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby cr08 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:38 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'F')irst off, check these to make sure the versions match.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
pacman -Qi linux-kirkwood
uname -a
')

Gets me this which I find quite odd:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@alarm pacman.d]# pacman -Qi linux-kirkwood
error: package 'linux-kirkwood' was not found
[root@alarm pacman.d]# uname -a
Linux alarm 3.1.10-22-ARCH #1 PREEMPT Fri Jun 28 21:43:02 CDT 2013 armv5tel GNU/Linux
')

Clean install of arch using the existing instructions (stock iomega software, enable SSH, log in, download install script and run, reboot into arch) and just did a pacman -Syu first thing which told me everything was up to date.
cr08

Postby moonman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:44 am

Install linux-kirkwood package first replacing the existing
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices