user editable wiki

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

user editable wiki

Postby NoobMan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:50 pm

(Couldnt figure a better place to post this, so i put it here.)

A wiki which users can edit, to share info etc.
A good user wiki does not come overnight, but on the long term it has the potential to help a huge deal.

ARM is moving fast and there is no way for just a few devs to keep up without "userland" wiki. The main page hardware is already outdated :) My board which i am starting to work with atm, is olinuxino-A20, isnt listed as supported, but i see it has files in /os/ and /armv7h/alarm/ and quite recent for that matter. I would of made a page for that and maybe document a few steps, since i am regular arch and not afraid of wiki edits, but infrastructure is missing.

I am a strong believer that ppls will freely contribute as long as they can do it fairly easy.

So how about providing something like wiki.~yourdomain.org
NoobMan

Re: user editable wiki

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:03 pm

We'd need moderators, guidelines, etc.

Then there is management of the spam, bots, etc etc.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby NoobMan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:25 pm

I see your point, its not easy to do.

How about to make the user registration not automated. Users could register by e-mail 1-2 days, or maybe better by forum request posting and hence get approved first before being able to make changes. This will keep the users base in check and will prevent spam and bots and such. Like that i think should be easy to manage. Its a start. All things have to start from somewhere.

Otherwise pages like guidelines or philosophy, even structure maybe, could just be linked elsewhere to like point at the main arch wiki. Or to put it differently that could already be contributor's doings. Even if just a handfull of ppls on top of current devs accounts on a wiki, its still much easier to edit and to keep it updated (imho) than the current homepage, and the latter can become static.

Regardless of implementation, i think a wiki is a great tool and very needed nowadays, especially here. So i hope you guys get some wiki up, and again, in whatever constraints you think its best, but at least to have something - a start.
NoobMan

Postby kmihelich » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:41 pm

There was a wiki at the beginning of this project, many years ago, and it quickly devolved into outdated, incorrect, and in many cases dangerous information. Nevermind rampant spam problems on top of having to moderate questionable, wrong information submitted by the community.

The main website serves as an authoritative source for information on the platforms we support, editable by all developers. If your board isn't on there, it doesn't mean the site is old or outdated, it simply means we don't support your board right now.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices