Using Pogoplug v4 for web server

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Using Pogoplug v4 for web server

Postby jshaw42 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:03 pm

Please forgive my being a complete newbie (an old one at that) but I am trying to find out how to use my Pogoplug v4 as a web server. A Google search brought me here in hopes I could learn.

Do I install Linux, Cygwin, or what ever is best on the Pogoplug or the PC? I have read some sketchy things about SSH, but nothing about how to access it on the Pogoplug. I have set the Pogoplug to allow SSH. And I have found the IP address for the Pogoplug. From this point, I am at a total lose.

Keep in mind I am fairly PC literate, but could be considered a total neophyte in this respect. Thanks for any help.

Jack
jshaw42

Re: Using Pogoplug v4 for web server

Postby wobble » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Did you even install arch linux on the the pogoplug yet?

If so, you can use ssh to log in on it using something like

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
ssh -l alarm <ip-address for pogoplug>
')

Password is 'alarm'.

After that you can gain root privileges using the command 'su' (Password 'root') and install a webserver of your choosing. Look up how to use 'pacman' on the arch wiki.

I suspect you're running windows, so, yes, you probably should install cygwin unless you have access to a native linux machine.

Good luck!
wobble

Postby jshaw42 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:50 pm

I truly appreciate this response. However, as I mentioned, I am a complete newbie with this issue. Some of this is sounding like Greek to me.

No, I have not installed arch on the Pogoplug. I have started a program called Putty, but am at a loss.

Again, I need to be spoon fed with complete steps on how to do this.
jshaw42

Postby moonman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:40 am

Installation instructions: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5 ... s-ui-tabs2

After you have arch on the PPv4 you can then search ArchWiki for a related topic. You will probably want nginx OR lighttpd + php at least on this machine to be able to do something. Stay away from apache on PPv4
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby jshaw42 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Again, my thanks. I will see how far I can get. Be prepared for more questions, however.
jshaw42

Postby jshaw42 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Well, I blew it somewhere. I got as far as number 9 here: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5 ... g-series-4 and I was getting a ton of messages that it couldn't do the commands.

Is there away to clear everything out on the pogoplug and start over? Would changing the USB 2.0 flash drive give me a new chance?

Also, my pogoplug is heating up quite a bit. Something I'm missing?

It wouldn't be cost prohibitive to get a new pogoplug.
jshaw42

Postby wobble » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:58 am

Does "I got as far as number 9" mean that step 9 was the last one that succeeded or the first one that failed?

Also, we can't help you if you don't post at least the first few lines of the "ton of messages that it couldn't do the commands".
wobble

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices