5.15.y aarch64 testing kernel available RPi 2/3/4/400/Zero2W

Arch Linux ARM announcements, news, and other important things are posted here.

5.15.y aarch64 testing kernel available RPi 2/3/4/400/Zero2W

Postby graysky » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:34 pm

The RPi Foundation announced that the next stable kernel will be from the 5.15.y branch. Eventually, the official linux-raspberrypi4/linux-raspberrypi kernels will move from the 5.10.y branch to the 5.15.y branch.

For now, I am building and testing a linux-rpi package for aarch64 and am making it available to the community. One caveat is that it is built via cross compiler which has a known limitation: the headers package will not work with dkms on the RPi.

If you would like to use/test it, you have several options:
1. Use my unofficial repo
2. See my fork of PKGBUILDs and build your own kernel. Note you'll need to build the bootloader and firmware too.

If you want to use my repo:

Edit /etc/pacman.conf to add my entry ABOVE the official repos:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[graysky]
Server = http://repo-ck.com/aarch64-test/
')

(Re-read that instruction, make SURE you placed the entry ABOVE the official repos).

Next, add my signing key:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# pacman-key -r 5EE46C4C --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com
# pacman-key --lsign-key 5EE46C4C')

Tell pacman to update your system:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# pacman -Syu')

If you are coming from a fresh installation from the rpi 64-bit image (image name = ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64-latest.tar.gz), you are booting into the mainline linux kernel linux-aarch64 and will need to switch over the the RPi Foundation linux kernel linux-rpi.

Do so like this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# pacman -S linux-rpi')

Say yes to both conflicting package questions:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ':: linux-rpi and linux-aarch64 are in conflict (linux). Remove linux-aarch64? [y/N] y
:: linux-rpi and uboot-raspberrypi are in conflict. Remove uboot-raspberrypi? [y/N] y
')

Install these package:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# pacman -S --needed raspberrypi-bootloader-x raspberrypi-firmware')

Finally reboot.

Please use this thread for discussion and feedback.
graysky
Developer

Re: 5.15.y aarch64 testing kernel available RPi 2/3/4/400/Ze

Postby graysky » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:18 pm

RPi Foundation officially declared rpi-5.15.y kernels as stable. Our packages will update shortly. I took down my testing repo. Thanks to all who tested and provided feedback.
graysky
Developer

Return to Announcements