VLC with hw accel decoding is out (RPis only)

Arch Linux ARM announcements, news, and other important things are posted here.

VLC with hw accel decoding is out (RPis only)

Postby graysky » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:18 pm

I recently prepared a vlc package for Arch ARM that can do HW accelerated video decoding. Just like our kodi packages, it can play h264/h265 videos up to 4k. Full hardware decoding of both h264 and x265 (HEVC) content is only possible for on RPi 4B/400. Older models can do some level of h264 only. This is a hardware limitation. Note that in order to benefit from hardware decoding, you must be running the linux-rpi kernel.

We are considering adding this to the official repos but for now would appreciate some feedback from users.

If you would like to use/test it, you have several options:
1. Use my unofficial repo
2. See my fork of PKGBUILDs and build yourself. You will need to first build ffmpeg-rpi then vlc-rpi.

If you want to use my repo:

Edit /etc/pacman.conf to add my entry ABOVE the official repos:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[graysky]
Server = http://repo-ck.com/$arch-test/
')

(Re-read that instruction, make SURE you placed the entry ABOVE the official repos).

Next, add my signing key:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# pacman-key -r 5EE46C4C --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu
# pacman-key --lsign-key 5EE46C4C')

Now you can install it:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Syy
pacman -S vlc-rpi
')

Be sure you pay attention to pacman's output post install which detail a few manual steps you must take in order to get it working.

Please use this thread for discussion and feedback.

Acknowledgment to the RPiOS multimedia guys who got this working on their distro and to jc-kynesim for the wonderful mods to ffmpeg that make this all possible. Great job, guys.
graysky
Developer

Re: VLC with hw accel decoding is out for testing (RPis only

Postby graysky » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:26 am

These packages are now merged into the official repos and should hit a mirror soon. Enjoy!
graysky
Developer

Return to Announcements