Toolchain update to 4.7.1/2.16.0

Arch Linux ARM announcements, news, and other important things are posted here.

Toolchain update to 4.7.1/2.16.0

Postby kmihelich » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:01 pm

The toolchains for v5 and v7h architectures have been updated to GCC 4.7.1 and glibc 2.16.0. Updated crosstool-ng instructions and pre-built toolchain tarballs are available on the site now as well. An important thing to note is that the compiler triplet and runtime linker path for v7h has changed slightly. The triplet is now armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf (originally armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi) and this is reflected in the makepkg.conf of the latest version of pacman in the repositories. When you upgrade pacman, be sure to merge any of your changes to makepkg.conf into the new version, or vice versa. For ARM hard-float, it was agreed to use ld-linux-armhf.so.3 as the new library name, though we've patched glibc and created a symlink for the original ld-linux.so.3 to maintain compatibility with our existing binaries.

Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Re: Toolchain update to 4.7.1/2.16.0

Postby bnolsen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:58 pm

That's nice. However a pacman update went in at the same time. I upgraded pacman then ended up with a library error ld-linux-armhf.so.3

I soft linked ld-linux-armhf.so.3 to ld-linux.so.3

Running pacman results only in a direct core dump.

I still had pacman-4.0.3-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.gz in my cache and manually exploded that into the system.
bnolsen

Postby kmihelich » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 am

Yes, I should make clear here and hopefully other people will notice, that you should not upgrade pacman first in this situation.

A possible solution to this issue if you did upgrade pacman first would be to download the new glibc package directly, then do:
tar -xf glibc*.xz -C /

This will extract the package raw into the filesystem, and should get pacman running again. You'll then want to pacman -Syuf, using the -f there to force pacman to overwrite the new files that just got extracted in without ownership to any package.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby jttj » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:07 pm

In case anyone upgrades pacman before the C toolchain and breaks stuff, I fixed by doing:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
wget http://mirror.archlinuxarm.org/armv7h/core/glibc-2.16.0-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
(sudo) tar -xvpf glibc-2.16.0-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz -C / --exclude .PKGINFO --exclude .INSTALL
(sudo) pacman -Syuf
')
jttj

Return to Announcements