[Installation] Subsonic

Guides written by the community, for the community, and only guides!

Re: [Installation] Subsonic

Postby pepedog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Perhaps make a swap file?
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=524288
mkswap /swapfile1
swapon /swapfile1
')
pepedog
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:38 pm

But not on flash.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby grizzlebee » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:42 pm

I followed your advice and made a 1GB swap file on the HDD that hosts my music. The web interface isn't very snappy, but it's usable and I'm now able to stream and download from the server. Thanks for the help everybody!
grizzlebee

Postby devr » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:51 pm

So to the whole ampache question... I got it working, and have used it for a few days. To me there are pros & cons to each option (subsonic / ampache). And to the useability pros, I lean more toward subsonic. But the amount of memory that it gobbles up to do a simple thing such as serving media... *sigh*.

I think I could 'swallow' the quirks of ampache easier if it didn't rely on a mysql DB. For most of my media needs, which are simple, I do not need the db backend. Most of the data I care about is in the metadata of the files.

Sure I will toss&turn trying to figure out which to choose, or continue looking for an alternative. An interesting note is that supposedly owncloud 'acts' like ampache. It is just very new, and not to stable. But version 3 is due out tomorrow, hopefully it will be more stable.
devr

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:35 pm

I just wish ownCloud didn't rely on htaccess exclusively, because nginx & sqlite would make it *so* much more lightweight.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby devr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 pm

In my install, I have owncloud working and haven't done anything with htaccess. Not even sure I saw htaccess in the install instructions. What did you see that ownloud needed htaccess for ? Anyways, the platform is still very young and a bit buggy. But works alright on nginx+php-fpm.

After a few weeks of using both subsonic & ampache, I find my usage preference falls toward subsonic. Just has the features that better fit my needs. Though would be cool if there was a an API conversion between ampache and subsonic.. maybe I will write something. So I guess I will just suck-it-up with the resource utilization of java.

hopefully one day, there will be a low power device (ARM) that has hardware decoding/encoding for than can be used my opensource audio & video libraries. I don't think I am asking for much... but things always seem to get all mucked up when codec licensing comes into play.
devr

Postby mastashake57 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Just found this thread after installing Subsonic, well, Cherokee in front of Subsonic and reverse proxying it.

A friendly tidbit, since the Pogoplug (V2 in my case) isn't a speed demon, you'll get random 504 Gateway errors. The solution that worked for me is to increase the server_timeout in cherokee.conf to a bigger value than 30. I'm using 900 and it's been working great ever since.

At 30 seconds, Cherokee just gives up when it just takes Subsonic a *tad* bit longer to complete.

And one more, you MUST use beta 4.7. It is MUCH better and offers lower memory footprint. If you're coming from 4.6 and using it on a Pogoplug device, you'll see that response times are much better.
mastashake57

Postby siddart » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Not sure if some of you are having the same problem I did... but my Subsonic process on my Pogoplug kept dying during media scanning, or when multiple users streamed.

After some searching, I noticed the standalone Subsonic config file had its max memory value set to a default of

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'SUBSONIC_MAX_MEMORY=150')

I changed the value to

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'SUBSONIC_MAX_MEMORY=128')

and haven't experienced anymore crashing.

Good luck!
siddart

Previous

Return to Community Guides