Issues with wired interface - showing "no carrier"

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Issues with wired interface - showing "no carrier"

Postby cris9288 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:21 am

Am wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues with ye olde Raspberry Pi model B (700 MHz CPU, 512 MB RAM) connecting to their network via the wired interface. I honestly can't say when it started happening - my Pi serves as a backup backup DNS server, so I only noticed when my main nameservers went down and I couldn't resolve hostnames.

It's working fine now with USB wireless, but would like to get wired connection going. Currently my interface shows up as:

2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether b8:27:eb:2d:81:56 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I've confirmed that the connected cable is working. I've connected it to my laptop and connected to the network with it. I've tried Raspbian as well and had the same problem. Seems like the NIC on the Pi finally crapped out? Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try next? Only thing I haven't done is fetch an old Raspbian image - could there have been a change to the raspberry pi firmware that impacted my board? Thanks in advance for your help.
cris9288

Re: Issues with wired interface - showing "no carrier"

Postby sdjf » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:11 pm

I am not sure how networking is running now as have not updated in quite a while, but if it is using /etc/netctl/ to set up connections, maybe you do not have an appropriate profile for your ethernet. I believe you will need different ones for your wired vs. wired interfaces.

Wired ethernet is still working fine on my model B 512 mb, but I am running an older kernel.

Are you using /etc/netctl/? If so, what does the profile for your wired ethernet look like?

On my system, ethernet will go down unless the remote computer can be pinged, unless I renew the connection with ifconfig. So I have a script that just runs every minute or so, bringing eth0 back up so it is ready for the remote to use. May not be the most efficient, but it works for me. Turn the remote on, wait a while, and then the Pi can ping and be pinged.

I am thinking you may need to have both eth0 and eth1, one for wired, one for wireless.
sdjf

Return to Raspberry Pi