no sound devices on Raspi

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

no sound devices on Raspi

Postby photor » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Hello Forum,

I have a raspi running up-to-date Archlinux and I plan to connect it to mystereo amp (e.g. as internet radio) using mpd. ALSA is installed but it seems I have no sound devices:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[root@geordi ~]# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:270: keine Soundkarten gefunden ...
')
Modules are loaded I think:
[root@geordi ~]# lsmod
Module Size Used by
bcm2835_rng 2679 0
bcm2835_gpiomem 3515 0
rng_core 7657 1 bcm2835_rng
uio_pdrv_genirq 3456 0
uio 9072 1 uio_pdrv_genirq
fixed 2921 0
sch_fq_codel 9294 2
snd_bcm2835 21551 0
snd_pcm 86520 1 snd_bcm2835
snd_timer 21631 1 snd_pcm
snd 60637 3 snd_timer,snd_bcm2835,snd_pcm
ip_tables 12363 0
x_tables 17452 1 ip_tables
ipv6 384973 18
')
Maybe, the hardware is too old(? Full-size SD-Card) and there is no sound card at all (no such message in dmesg found. Is there anything I have forgotten?
As the quality of Raspi sound cards may not be the best (read about that while searching the net for more info) it may also be an alternative to go for an USB-Sound device.

I have a Raspi Model B here, too (micro-SD-Card), which runs FreeBSD at the moment. I think about using this one.

Which one might be the better option?

Ciao,

Photor
photor

Re: no sound devices on Raspi

Postby crashmaster » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Set
device_tree_param=audio=on
')
in /boot/config.txt and the internal sound should work on all RPi models (Alsa will find a device).

About the quality: Not high fidelity, but usable. I don't want to recommend anything, just read the discussions in the RPi boards. ;)
crashmaster

Postby photor » Mon May 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Thank you crashmaster,

Sorry, I forgot to reply early. I have figured out myself some days later (I put dtparam=audio=on into /boot/config.txt file). So, I managed to get sound at the end.

But the quality is not what I was looking for. :shock: There is a mixture of dizzling and a white noise (caused by the power supply on the RasPi board as I learned). So, it is not a good idea to connect it to my HiFi deck ;)

I am thinking of a HAT soundcard (or something similar) - or something totaly different to build a streaming radio device.

Ciao,

Photor

PS: nevertheless, the soundcard is still switched on
photor

Postby crashmaster » Sun May 14, 2017 10:12 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('photor', '
')But the quality is not what I was looking for. :shock:

For really excellent sound I am using a Wolfson soundcard since a few years now. Wolfson belongs to Cirrus now and the card is called 'Cirrus Logic Audio Card'. For infos see:
https://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-accessories/cirrus_logic_audio_card

The problem was that i had to use an older patched kernel version for a long time, but now it is officially supported in the RPi kernel (Archlinux 4.9.x) - very nice! Not a cheap solution, but has a lot of features.
It is my recommendation for hifi freaks. ;)

To get it running read this:
http://www.horus.com/~hias/cirrus-driver.html

Bye-bye, CM.
crashmaster

Return to Raspberry Pi