Boot Raspberry Pi 2 from USB Hard Disc

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Re: Boot Raspberry Pi 2 from USB Hard Disc

Postby kay94 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:20 pm

Maybe you overloaded some part of the power supply on the Raspberry Pi, like a voltage regulator or so by attaching the hard disk. You could try to follow the power supply path and measure voltages with a multimeter. Hope you can make it become alive again.

Regards
kay94

Postby ngoonee » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:26 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kay94', 'M')aybe you overloaded some part of the power supply on the Raspberry Pi, like a voltage regulator or so by attaching the hard disk. You could try to follow the power supply path and measure voltages with a multimeter. Hope you can make it become alive again.

Regards

Definitely not the case, as I also tested with the bare minimum (no USB devices plugged in, just the working microSD card (works fine with my Pi3) and the HDMI cable. Same symptoms. Also changing the power supply source and cable didn't help (besides, if the power supply works for the hungrier Pi3 that is unlikely to be the issue).
ngoonee

Postby kay94 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:08 pm

I was talking about permanent damage produced by thermal overload due to too much current being pulled for example. I mean, I'm not sure about that, but I could imagine there was some kind of a voltage regulator on the RP 2. In that case you could check it's working condition with a volt meter and replace it, in case it's defect. Or maybe there is a non-resettable fuse, which has to be replaced. Looking at a close up picture of the front side, there clearly are some components related to power, like a huge diode.

Regards
kay94

Postby ngoonee » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:48 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kay94', 'I') was talking about permanent damage produced by thermal overload due to too much current being pulled for example. I mean, I'm not sure about that, but I could imagine there was some kind of a voltage regulator on the RP 2. In that case you could check it's working condition with a volt meter and replace it, in case it's defect. Or maybe there is a non-resettable fuse, which has to be replaced. Looking at a close up picture of the front side, there clearly are some components related to power, like a huge diode.

Regards

Oh, sorry I mixed that up. Yeah I may try to debug that (or get someone to do it), but it's not really high priority right now since I do have one working device.
ngoonee

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi