File system locked after partial update & manual FW update

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

File system locked after partial update & manual FW update

Postby Maddhin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:29 am

Hi,

I'm a newbie and was stupid.

After not updating the system for quite a while, I wanted to install something and directly installed (pacman -S package) some dependencies. That left me with a broken pacman (as it requires latest OpenSSL).

I managed to repair pacman by manually downloading and unpacking openssl, curl, libarchive and pacman.

Then I tried to run pacman -Syu but had some trouble with the latest raspberrypi-firmware package (some filesize issue if I remember correctly). I managed to fix this by updating the database and install the raspberrypi-firmaware package with pacman.

Then I ran pacman -Syu and it went without problems. I remember I did a force install of openssl after that (but not curl, pacman or libarchive).

Then I thought all is fixed and I give the system a clean start...

...and it didn't boot. After search I found that the problem seems to be the kernel.img and I did replace all files in the boot partition with the latest Raspberry Pi boot files from Git and: it booted again!!!

Now, after all that, I have the situation that pacman -Syu says it cannot unlock the database and some programs are starting but it seems everything is read only...

Does anybody has a good idea where to go from here? I tried to search but I cannot solve this by e.g. removing /var/lib/pacman/db.lck. My problem seems to affect the whole system...

Thank you for any comments!
Maddhin

Re: File system locked after partial update & manual FW upda

Postby Maddhin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:29 am

sorry guys to bump this - if anybody has an idea as to where/how to fix this issue or something I can do to figure out where the problem is, I would be super grateful.
At the moment the system seems to be completely locked down - I cannot even change time, etc.

Many thanks in advance!!!
Maddhin

Re: File system locked after partial update & manual FW upda

Postby summers » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 am

If the system has totally gone to pot, what can can do is reinstall the arch image, but make sure you don't overwrite the user set up. (e.g. make sure you keep /home). Thats relatively easy to do, as long as you haven't installed too much.

I used that approach on my NSA325 when I wanted to redo the root partition (to delete the /boot partition and give all the space to root), and it was easy.
summers

Return to Raspberry Pi