RPi3 USB boot without SD card?

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

RPi3 USB boot without SD card?

Postby PeterAOBell » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:52 am

I am attempting to get RPi3 to boot from USB flash drive, without the need for an SD card. (I hate microSD - I find that they're terribly unreliable)

I have both Raspbian and LibreElec/KODI booting without SD card, but have been unsuccessful with Arch. It seems to me that Arch always expects to access /dev/mmcblk0p1 even though the system almost completes booting from USB. Apart from setting root=/dev/sda2 in cmdline.txt, is there anything else I need to do?

Screen photos attached of boot screen without the SD card inserted and with the SD card inserted (taken immediately before the system fully starts up).

Edit:
Errr... I uploaded jpegs, but don't see them attached here.
PeterAOBell

Re: RPi3 USB boot without SD card?

Postby ufo6000 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:56 am

yes, check your /etc/fstab !

And for clarification: do you use armv7l or aarch64 ? Or the other way: which image did you use for installing?
ArchLinuxARM-rpi-2-latest.tar.gz
ArchLinuxARM-rpi-3-latest.tar.gz

Because they have different boot scripts.
ufo6000

Re: RPi3 USB boot without SD card?

Postby PeterAOBell » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks very much - that was it! I knew that I had to be missing something obvious! At one stage I had adjusted fstab, but then got diverted with another issue!

I'm using the armv7l image, because the system I'm developing uses a network of RPis - at the moment some are RPi2 (v1.2) and some RPi3. The devices are hidden within roof spaces (domestic lighting control), so not very accessible when the SD card fails!
PeterAOBell

Return to Raspberry Pi