Composite video output switches to overscan on boot up.

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Composite video output switches to overscan on boot up.

Postby nintenloup » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:18 am

Hello, this is my first post here, I hope it's in the right place.

So, here's the problem I have. I updated my rapberry pi 1b earlier today. The update erased my /boot/config.txt file and /boot/cmdline.txt files. Not that much of a problem, I can just rewrite them and I did. But now I get a problem I didn't had before. After the computer is finished booting, the perfectly good b/w composite output blinks and when it comes back it's now overscanned and I cannot see the text at the edge of the screen. There is also some text appearing after the blink, here's a link to the picture : https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 210120.jpg

Any idea as to why that happens and what I can do to make that stop happening ? I also cannot use HDMI, so that's out of the question.
nintenloup

Re: Composite video output switches to overscan on boot up.

Postby graysky » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:55 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('nintenloup', 'S')o, here's the problem I have. I updated my rapberry pi 1b earlier today. The update erased my /boot/config.txt file and /boot/cmdline.txt files.

Pacman saved them as .pacsave files. Just replace (or better yet diff) them against the new ones. You likely had some overscan values defined in the old ones that you did not transition.
graysky
Developer

Re: Composite video output switches to overscan on boot up.

Postby nintenloup » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:22 pm

I have checked the 2 files and they are the same, I've written my config file onto a piece of paper so always retype the same thing.

I seem to have found a workaround though. It seems that it is the vc4-kms-v3d module that's doing that. So I added modprobe.blacklist=vc4,v3d and the raspi is now back to normal.

I've checked the options for vc4-kms-v3d with dtoverlay, but there doesn't seem to be any options to tell it to not be overscan. Does someone knows something about that ?
nintenloup

Return to Raspberry Pi