Makepkg.conf for Raspberry Pi

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Makepkg.conf for Raspberry Pi

Postby tomahhunt » Sun May 13, 2012 6:13 pm

So my Raspberry Pi has arrived and I am running ARCH on it.
My aim is to get XBMC running on it which I am slowly getting through the build working out the flags and making a PKGBUILD file for it.

I was wondering though what the optimal makepkg setup would be for ARCH and how to make it work to enable the VFP fpu optimizations etc. I tried to do this and configure would tell me gcc could not make executables so I obviously messed it up.

What I tired was adding -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.

Any help much appreciated!
tomahhunt

Re: Makepkg.conf for Raspberry Pi

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun May 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Optimally speaking, it would be a complete armv6 hard, but the kernel you have has to have been compiled that way, as well as the libraries on the system. The system & kernel have been compiled as soft armv5te, due to that ROI as compared between building out an entirely new repo singularly for the raspberry pi, and the small margin of performance difference.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby MikeBee » Mon May 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Did you have any success with this? I was just going to start looking into it myself. Think there would be a lot of interest in this once the devices become a bit wider spread.
MikeBee

Postby kmihelich » Mon May 14, 2012 4:29 pm

I will be looking into the feasibility of compiling and tagging certain packages for v6+vfp over the next couple months, but only for software where an improvement in speed is likely to be seen.

We will not be rebuilding everything for the RPi. Simply put, it's the only device on the market with its processor configuration and it's highly unlikely we'll see anything else using it, ever. Everyone else has been building products based on v7+neon. That is where my primary focus is.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby tgc » Sun May 20, 2012 8:14 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tomahhunt', 'S')o my Raspberry Pi has arrived and I am running ARCH on it.
My aim is to get XBMC running on it which I am slowly getting through the build working out the flags and making a PKGBUILD file for it.

Any luck with XMBC yet? I'm also trying to build it, but building with the raspberry pi itself is a bit slow ;)
tgc

Postby nakioman » Mon May 21, 2012 4:01 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tgc', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tomahhunt', 'S')o my Raspberry Pi has arrived and I am running ARCH on it.

Any luck with XMBC yet? I'm also trying to build it, but building with the raspberry pi itself is a bit slow ;)

Hi, could you provide me with information on how to build xbmc for the Rpi?, I am getting a hard time finding a guide on how to do it.
Thanks.
nakioman

Postby tgc » Tue May 22, 2012 6:35 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tomahhunt', 'I') was wondering though what the optimal makepkg setup would be for ARCH and how to make it work to enable the VFP fpu optimizations etc. I tried to do this and configure would tell me gcc could not make executables so I obviously messed it up.

What I tired was adding -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.

I've tried compiling with this as well, but it fails because it is not allowed to link binaries compiled with "-mfloat-abi=hard" and libs compiled with "-mfloat-abi=soft" (and vice versa). This basically means that the entire system must be compiled for hardware fpu, or software fpu, no mixing. If I'm wrong please correct me!

Unfortunately XBMC doesn't compile well for software fpu and/or armv5te/armv6. I'm having problems with the assemblercode included and I don't know if it possible to work around it...
tgc

Postby pepedog » Tue May 22, 2012 7:32 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tgc', 'I')'ve tried compiling with this as well, but it fails because it is not allowed to link binaries compiled with "-mfloat-abi=hard" and libs compiled with "-mfloat-abi=soft" (and vice versa). This basically means that the entire system must be compiled for hardware fpu, or software fpu, no mixing. If I'm wrong please correct me!

This is right, the exceptions being the kernel and modules, and stuff statically compiled to the right libraries (not that I'm an expert on that though).
pepedog
Developer

Postby tgc » Tue May 22, 2012 7:42 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('pepedog', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tgc', 'I')'ve tried compiling with this as well, but it fails because it is not allowed to link binaries compiled with "-mfloat-abi=hard" and libs compiled with "-mfloat-abi=soft" (and vice versa). This basically means that the entire system must be compiled for hardware fpu, or software fpu, no mixing. If I'm wrong please correct me!

This is right, the exceptions being the kernel and modules, and stuff statically compiled to the right libraries (not that I'm an expert on that though).

Ok. So the kernel for raspberry pi could (and maybe should) be compiled with support for hardware fpu? Perhaps it already is?
tgc

Postby pepedog » Tue May 22, 2012 8:51 am

There is no difference in kernels for a hard or soft float system.
Ie the arch kernel and modules could be used on Debian hf
pepedog
Developer

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi