[invalid] Upgrading makes keyboard have sticky keys

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

[invalid] Upgrading makes keyboard have sticky keys

Postby voneiden » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Hey all,

just got my raspi today and started it up with a fresh archlinux arm archlinuxarm-29-04-2012.img

Everything worked great, got xorg and all working at resolution of 1600x1200. However after rebooting after full system upgrade, my wireless USB keyboard became pretty much useless. Something like 30% of the key events seem to go amiss, so key presses don't print out at all or end up repeating the same character when the key up is not registered.

I'm aware of this http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals and that there has been some issues with certain keyboards. However since the keyboard works fine with the stock image, I assume there's a bug lurking somewhere that can be fixed.

I got a 1200mA power supply and the voltages on board seem rather steady at 4.88V. Having the wireless usb dongle connected/disconnected doesn't seem to make any difference to voltage, so I'd personally rule out power supply issues.

The keyboard is some weirdly branded "Prodige FlatX Mini".

Anyone else had such issues? Should I drop a bug report on github? Any ideas what I could try to investigate still? Ideal would be of course if I could find out the exact package upgrade causing the problem..

- edit -
Symptoms seemed to appear after upgrading libusb and libusb-compat.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[2012-06-01 20:30] upgraded libusb (1.0.8-2 -> 1.0.9-1)
[2012-06-01 20:30] upgraded libusb-compat (0.1.3-2 -> 0.1.4-1)')
Last edited by voneiden on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
voneiden

Re: Upgrading makes keyboard have sticky keys

Postby pepedog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 pm

You could try reinstall of rootfs, then edit /etc/pacman.conf and put those packages in as ignored, to test your theory.
pepedog
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 pm

After those upgrades, have you rebooted?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby voneiden » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:55 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'A')fter those upgrades, have you rebooted?

Yep.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('pepedog', 'Y')ou could try reinstall of rootfs, then edit /etc/pacman.conf and put those packages in as ignored, to test your theory.

I'll give it a shot.
voneiden

Postby voneiden » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Looks like it's just another wireless keyboard that doesn't work properly with raspi. I was able to reproduce the problem with the stock image with no upgrades. Doing a soft reboot seems to increase the chances of the problem happening (coincidence?).

I also tried another power adapter rated at 5V and 1A. That gives slightly less voltage; 4.83V but otherwise no notable difference.

Meh. :(

** small update **

I noticed that the communication between the keyboard and the receiver seems to work still fine. For every keypress/release the receiver sees it blinks a led once. And by pressing and releasing a single key I'm still able to see two blinks, yet the keypress might get stuck and repeat on the raspi.

Fingers crossed that it's a software issue. I also checked that the receiver is rated at (MaxPower) 100mA, so that shouldn't be causing issues either.
voneiden

Return to Raspberry Pi