Losing Time Server

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Losing Time Server

Postby sheriff076 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Hello,

I've posted this question on the Pi forums but not had any luck on an answer yet, I'm hoping someone can on here.

I've followed this guide for a suggested install process which has worked well enough for me to understand a lot of the basics to get to a desktop environment. The issue I keep running into is that I lose the date/time settings once I get to the bit were I add NetworkManager and remove Network from the daemon in /etc/rc.conf.
I reinstalled a couple of times and always got the same result, I then reinstalled the guide one last time and rebooted after each step and it was the networkmanager stage that 'broke' the time server.
Is there another step or two that perhaps isn't listed but doing would prevent my time and date reverting to 1970?

As an aside I do have full network/web access just not the correct time and date.

http://www.zhaun.net/post/Setup-archlinux-with-xfce-to-raspberry.aspx
sheriff076

Re: Losing Time Server

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 pm

I suggest using an NTP client. There is no real time clock on the Pi.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby sheriff076 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Hello,

Thats my point, by default the Arch install image has openntp setup and working from 1st boot. The time/date works fine and consistently and only breaks when I try to change Network to NetworkManager as referenced in that setup guide.

I dont get why changing the network manager from one to another will stop the openntp from working.

Cheers
sheriff076

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Is openntpd after networkmanager?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Raspberry Pi