[Solved] Kernel panic after pacman kernel upgrade

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

[Solved] Kernel panic after pacman kernel upgrade

Postby bwahlgreen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:21 am

Hi

I just updated with pacman -Syu and got a new kernel and headers (linux(-headers)-raspberrypi-3.1.9-21) and now I get a kernel panic right after boot: The logo comes on screen, then:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(172,2)')

It seems it can't mount the SD card properly.

Any ideas if/how I can get back to a working kernel, i.e., 3.1.9-20 was running fine before upgrade?
bwahlgreen

Re: Kernel panic after pacman kernel upgrade

Postby pepedog » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 am

It needs newer firmware. Hopefully it will be rebuilt soon, but you going to have to grab blobs (not kernel) from
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot
e2fschk -y -f your root partition
pepedog
Developer

Postby bwahlgreen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks a lot, after getting everything but kernel*.img and fixing with e2fsck as you suggested, it's now up and running again.
bwahlgreen

Postby thantik » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Leaving out those kernel*.img files is key. I didn't need to e2fsck my card at all though. Originally tried before bwahalgreen replied, and put the kernel*.img files on my boot partition along with it...it just booted up to the Pi logo and did nothing further. Tried again (backed up partition ftw!) and this time, bwahlgreens reply was up, so I copied over the files minus kernel*.img and it worked like a charm.

Should I be blacklisting upgrades to the linux kernel for now to ensure this doesn't happen again?
thantik

Postby xenoxaos » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:37 pm

The new firmware package is running through the builder right now...this should be resolved in a little bit for anyone else that updates.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby pepedog » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Yes, it's there now.
Arch is trailblazing for other distros, so hiccups happen
pepedog
Developer

Postby bwahlgreen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for the quick postings and also that the firmware is now on the repository!

No harm done, I'm happy with the rolling releases as well as bleeding edge'ness of Arch and can live with the occasional hiccups :-)
bwahlgreen

Postby xenoxaos » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Another kernel/firmware update was pushed through the builder this morning (Sun Jun 17 11:00AM EST) Please upgrade and test these and post if there are any successes or issues with the newest release!
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Return to Raspberry Pi