Subtle window manager, unable to type through vnc?

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Subtle window manager, unable to type through vnc?

Postby epidemicz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:54 am

I have this strange problem where I'm not able to type through vnc to my pi running subtle. It ran fine with other environments I've tried (lxde, awesome) but it is acting really weird with subtle.

I can click and move the mouse fine. I can press the hotkey to bring up urxvt, but I'm unable to type.

I did notice for some reason, if I hold down alt a few keys will go through to the urxvt terminal.

Any ideas?

Update 6/28/2012
I've taken vnc out of the loop by bringing the pi to my monitor and keyboard. I'm not having any problems when directly connected. At this point I'm suspecting the client (TightVNC viewer v2.5.1).

Update 6/29/2012
Have tried a few other vnc clients and there's been no change. I believe subtle uses the mouse cursor to tell what window has focus, and that is I believe what is messing up at the moment. Going to pester the subtle guys and see if I can find a solution, will post any resolution I find here.

Update 6/30/2012 and conclusion
Tried to get on the forums over at subforge.org, but apparently they're doing manual approval and haven't approved my account yet. Got on the irc (irc.freenode.org #subtle) and they could only agree that I shouldn't use a GUI on the raspi anyway.

That's a shame really, I've been wanting to run subtle for a while and figured my pi would have been an awesome chance to set it up. Suppose it would work, but not with vnc. If anybody ever finds a solution, please PM me. Thanks!
epidemicz

Return to Raspberry Pi