Raspberry not booting with 16MB memory for GPU

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Raspberry not booting with 16MB memory for GPU

Postby gcala » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:10 am

Hi,
I'm migrating my Raspberry Pi 256M from Raspbian to Archlinux. My main concern until now is that I can't set the overall GPU memory to 16MB (I'm using it headless). When doing so Raspberry does not boot. The minum amount of memory I can use is 64 and this is a real waste of resources, in addition to making difficult the simultaneous use of some services (owncloud, pyload, mediatomb, rtorrent). Can this problem be solved?

Very thanks.
gcala

Re: Raspberry not booting with 16MB memory for GPU

Postby moonman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:13 pm

48 seems to be the minimum to make it boot. It can't be solved becaise of hardware limitations.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby gcala » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:00 pm

@moonman, I don't think so since raspbian and opensuse boot with 240/16 split.
gcala

Postby moonman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:58 pm

Afaik raspian doesn't boot with 16. There was a thread on their forum about this exact same question.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby tikidollracer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:59 am

the memory for the gpu is set by the raspberry pi boot loader, and should be independent of the os running on top. do you know the default boot settings shipping w/ raspbian? also, beware that the pi gpu memory usage seems pretty buggy, so unless you've dynamically measured it you won't know what you're really getting.
tikidollracer

Postby gcala » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:42 am

atm I'm trying opensuse and as I wrote it boots and works with only 16MB of memory for gpu:

http://wstaw.org/m/2014/03/31/raspberry-opensuse.png

Unfortunately, packages choice on opensuse is quite limited. If I can't use 240/16 split with archlinux I'm forced to reinstall raspbian, and this is a pity since I use archlinux also on desktop...
gcala

Postby tikidollracer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:20 am

interesting. i wonder why arch is being so greedy. if suse can do it correctly, i don't really see why arm couldn't.
tikidollracer

Postby moonman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:45 am

It is likely something with kernel config. As an experiment take the kernel and modules from opensuse and see if it boots. I am sure we have many more modules included from which some may trigger this situation. Also compare the bootloader/kernels configs. You are also free to compile your own minimal kernel with only the options that YOU need, as a reference you can use defconfig provided by raspberrypi foundation. But like I said, to me it is hardware limitation.
moonman
Developer

Postby gcala » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:08 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'A')s an experiment take the kernel and modules from opensuse and see if it boots.

Which folders should I copy from opensuse? /boot and /lib/modules/`uname -r` ?
gcala

Postby moonman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:04 am

Yes, those would be the dirs
moonman
Developer

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi