Raspberry PI and gpt

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Raspberry PI and gpt

Postby 3igHankCh0w » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:30 am

I have been searching to see if one can use gpt in place of an msdos when partitioning the sdcard for the raspberry pi, the reason I ask, is when using gdisk to partition the sdcard, I do not have the option of FAT32, and when using gparted, if I set the boot flag, it changes to EFI. Sorry if this has already been addressed, but my searches have proved fruitless.
3igHankCh0w

Re: Raspberry PI and gpt

Postby moonman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:51 am

First time I hear about such a problem. And AFAIK no, you can't. Have you tried fdisk?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:20 pm

The Pi's bootloader does not currently understand GPT, AFAIK
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby krabat » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Regarding gdisk and gparted I wonder whether there's some misconception:

Both are about partitioning, not about (high-level) formatting. Thus you may set GPT partition types such as "Linux filesystem" or "EFI System [partition]" and partition attributes such as "legacy BIOS bootable" (sgdisk only afaik) but never particular filesystems such as FAT32.
krabat

Postby moonman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:47 pm

GPT partition table is not the same thing as MBR. You can set types in both. And yes, these tools are for partitioning, not for formatting. One needs to user mkfs.vfat to format partition as fat32
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to Raspberry Pi