Use Android drivers with libhybris on Cubieboard

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

Re: Use Android drivers with libhybris on Cubieboard

Postby maribu » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi, again!

Sorry for the late response. Generally this would work. But it would be better to place source files in the "source(...)" section and add checksums. You might want to have a look here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pkgbuild.

Personally I wouldn't add these files to the android system image, because these are part of the forked libhybris version. I personally would either add it to the existing libhybris package, or even better: A new package building these librarys from the forked libhybris source.

I currently don't have the time to look at this (I might find some time in a few days), but I am very interested in this. If you take a deeper look into this I would be happy to hear if you got this successfully working.

Regards,
Maribu
maribu

Postby maribu » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:08 am

Ok, I found some time and added the package. I attached the updated libhybris package (shame on my, I have used an existing PKGBUILD and have forgotten to update the package describtion). I also have made a new version of this libhybris PKGBUILD to also include CedarX. It seems I only can attach 3 files at a time, so I will attach the new version in a second post.
Attachments
libhybris-git-375.d090299-1.src.tar.gz
"Vanilla" version of libhybris (original version)
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
android-system-cubieboard-4.2-1.src.tar.gz
Dependency for both versions of libhybris
(480 Bytes) Downloaded 486 times
android-headers-cubieboard-4.2-1.src.tar.gz
Build dependency for both versions of libhybris
(521 Bytes) Downloaded 424 times
maribu

Postby maribu » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:20 am

So, this is the version of libhybris with CedarX support. It seems it is not really up to date with the original version of libhybris. I couldn't get it working with vlc, but I only have a really old version of vlc. Recompiling it might solve the problem. Also it could be that my system package is not compatible with the libhybris version (but test_glesv2 of this package worked fine with my system package).

If you get something to work, please tell me what you have done. (By the way: If you want to replace my system package with the system folder from here http://ssvb.name/files/20130509/system.tar.gz, you could either change the source link in the PKGBUILD of the system package and the checksums (better version) or remove the package with "sudo pacman -Rdd android-system-cubieboard" and untar it to /system.)

Regards,
Maribu
Attachments
libhybris-with-cedarx-git-193.46b0c1e-1.src.tar.gz
libhybris with CedarX support.
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
maribu

Postby WebReflection » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Does CedarX need to be compiled before using the latest package?

Thanks though, I'll do some extra test ASAP.
WebReflection

Postby rstepanov » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:23 am

Just found this topic, any updates available? I'm waiting for Cubieboard2, want to have similar experience with it.
HP t5325, thinking of RPi
rstepanov

Postby maribu » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:22 am

@rstepanov: You'll most likely need to build a new android system image for the Cubieboard 2. Or you could try downloading a prebuild android image and use the "/system" folder of it. You might want to use my PKGBUILD for android-system-cubieboard to start with, so you can get a clean integration in pacman. The Package android-headers-cubieboard might also be needed to recreate. There is a shell script in the hybris source to copy all needed headers from the android source code (you'll need the source code of the cubieboard 2), but for me it didn't copy all needed headers. Instead I had to copy a few headers manually. But if I were you, I would try if the android-headers-cubieboard package works also with the Cubieboard 2.

DirectFB has started to support wayland, too. It might be worth to look at this. I had a few looks at DirectFB in the past (see here for running it on a Raspberry Pi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgXpjH-XsUI). I think it really is a cool project. If you need an single application embedded system with a graphical user interface, you should think about using DirectFB to develop your application. But the ports of the famous graphic toolskits (gtk, qt) are outdated and very buggy, as you can see in the youtube video (just look at the font rendering in the website). So even if applications only rely on such a toolkit (quite a lot depend both on a toolkit AND on X, which in my opinion is a shame, because it makes those applications difficult to port to other graphic systems), it mostly will not work as good as it did in X. With wayland support DirectFB has become much more suited for "every day"-use: Both gtk and qt have a quite mature support for wayland and will become just as reliable on wayland as there are on X in the near future. And a lot of applications are being ported to the new version of gtk and qt, which have wayland support (gtk3 and qt5) at the moment and quite a few are already available.

It might be easier to get DirectFB use the android EGL/GLES drivers and run weston (the default wayland compositor) on top of DirectFB, instead of getting weston to work with the android drivers. It's at least worth a try.

Regards,
maribu
maribu

Postby rstepanov » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:10 pm

@maribu I'm not going to use Cubieboard2 as single application device so a full featured desktop environment is preferable. I want to look at weston/wayland with full hardware acceleration, as far as I understand the only option is to use Android driver. The biggest problem now that the board isn't arrived yet, can't keep waiting for it.
HP t5325, thinking of RPi
rstepanov

Previous

Return to Allwinner