Cubieboard 2 cooling solution ?

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

Cubieboard 2 cooling solution ?

Postby dhead666 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:14 pm

I was frustrated with my Raspberry Pi overall performance as applications server and wanted to start playing with its GPIOs so I decided to grab the Cubieboard 2.

The Cubieboard 2 is a little beast compared to the Pi, I'm currently running on it: CrashPlan, OpenVPN, CherryMusic, SickBeard Couchpotato, HtpcManager, Transmission and so far I'm getting good result regarding memory usage and response time of the services.

My only complaint is that the device tends to overheat and shutdown when cpu usage is high, this can be triggered also by copying files over nfs.

Currently I've got a high rpm 140mm fan ontop of the cpu and a proper 20x20mm heatsink is already on its way in hope this it will be enough.

Anyone has better expereince with the device ?
Should I also look for a tiny silent fan or the heatsink will suffice ?
Pogoplug Series 4 - Network Storage and Music Server: NFS/TVHeadend
Cubox-i2 - Applications Server: Lighttpd/CherryMusic/HTPCManager/Transmission/Couchpotato/SickBeard/OpenVPN
Samsung Chromebook: Chroach in ChromeOS
dhead666

Re: Cubieboard 2 cooling solution ?

Postby WebReflection » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:22 pm

WebReflection

Postby dhead666 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:46 am

I've installed today a heatsink on the cpu, sadly there's no room to installed 20x20cm heatsink on the ram.

Without a heatsink the system was stable only with a high rpm fan, with low rpm fan the system was stable only with average load and with high load the cpu was overheat.

I'm trying to see if I can get the cpu to overheat and shut off even with the heatsink attached.
Copying over nfs is enough to get full load on the cpu, add streaming with CherryMusic and the cpu just cries.

My first test is to run the system with the lid on (the window is open for the sata cable), currently it running for 2+ hours and seems fine, but I will wait to see if the system stays up on the following days before making conclusion.

I hope to post good news soon.
Cubox-i2 - Applications Server: Lighttpd/CherryMusic/HTPCManager/Transmission/Couchpotato/SickBeard/OpenVPN
dhead666

Postby dhead666 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:40 pm

It took the better part of the day but finally the cpu overheat and gave up again with the heatsink attached so I guess the a fan is required.
Now I need to find a fan that will fit the case or wait to my Cubox-i2 and then send the Cubieboard to the trash (with my 50$ Allwinner A20 tablet), truelly dissapointing board.
dhead666

Return to Allwinner