ArchLinux ARM for CubieTruck : any ideas ?

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

Re: ArchLinux ARM for CubieTruck : any ideas ?

Postby maggu2810 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:25 pm

Patched my kernel and got it working again ;-)
maggu2810

Postby Aitch » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi folks.

I've been following PLyttle's May-11 how-to for getting my CubieTruck to work with ArchLinux. Works great up to

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -S uboot-cubietruck')
This gives:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'e')rror: failed retrieving file 'uboot-cubietruck-2014.04-9-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found

I see in the package listing that the version should be 2014.04.10, so it looks like a packaging error. I'm not sure who packaged this but can someone here help get it fixed?

So near and yet so far ;)

Aitch

Update: I raised a GitHub Issue for this and davidbeauchamp pointed out that the "pacman -Syu" needs to come before the "pacman -S uboot-cubietruck" Hope this helps someone else.
Last edited by Aitch on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aitch

Postby krabat » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:53 pm

You may try to run 'pacman -Sy' before 'pacman -S foobar'.
krabat

Postby indianerjones » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:12 am

Hi, I'm trying to run the mainline 3.17 kernel. I can get the initial Arch with kernel 3.4 up and running, no problems. But as soon as I try to boot my own compiled kernel, the rootFS is mounted read-only. It boots, just a few services that can't start. But the system is not usable that way.

The SD card is ext4 formatted. Do I need to check some parameters in my kernel config that might make the system read-only?
Is this a known problem? What can I do about it? Do you need any more information?

Edit: Just tried again enabling all ext filesystems, enabling all additional features. There is no real message, just the info:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[ 1.616288] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p1): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: (null)
[ 1.623854] VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) readonly on device 179:1.
')

Why does it mount without a journal? Why does happily mount it read-only, as if that was intended? I just wanna play drums.
indianerjones

Postby krabat » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:00 am

To get started I wouldn't recommend to compile the Kernel yourself but use the one from package linux-armv7 instead. If you got 3.4 from linux-sunxi running installing the package shouldn't be a problem.

As for the other problems I guess they are due to an unsuitable U-Boot version. Mainline Kernels require recent U-Boot versions like the u-boot-sunxi "custodian".
Personally, I've always compiled it on my x86_64 desktop and don't know how exactly to do it on ARM (there seems to be the need for some "soft-float gcc libraries" even on hard-float platforms).
To install, you basically have to copy u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin as described on linux-sunxi.org and make sure the right parameters are set. I for one never use uEnv.txt but put everything I need into boot.scr. A suitable boot.cmd could looke like so
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
env set bootargs panic=10 console=ttyS0,115200 consoleblank=0 rootwait root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
env set fdt_high 0xffffffff
ext4load mmc 0 0x46000000 boot/zImage
ext4load mmc 0 0x49000000 boot/dtbs/sun7i-a20-cubietruck.dtb
bootz 0x46000000 - 0x49000000
')given you're putting everything on the SD card's first partition (beware line breaks in code snippet). ext4 is fine, btw.
krabat

Postby indianerjones » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:06 am

Hi, thanks for answering so fast. I know how to compile the kernel, this isn't the first board I'm doing this with, only the most resistant ;-) Compiling this myself to make sure certain drivers are in there. Can I get an overview somewhere if the latest repo kernel supports HDMI and what drivers are compiled in?

I have the most recent u-boot, dd'ed the u-boot-image, generated the device tree, I did the whole spiel. Everything works fine but writing to the rootfs. A second partition on the SD card can be mounted at runtime with write support, just not the rootfs at boot. What am I missing here?

Edit: wow, what the hell?
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mount -orw,remount /dev/mmcblkp1')
enables write support. So I can even remount my rootfs and it is writable. Why does it not work during boot?

Edit edit: Again, what the ...?
Adding a simple "rw" to the kernel arguments in boot.cmd solved it. This is nowhere in the mainline kernel howto, so I assumed it wasn't necessary.
indianerjones

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:16 pm

That's a matter of a userland impacted change. It is not a kernel requirement.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Previous

Return to Allwinner