Archlinux installed on NAND in cubieboard

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

Archlinux installed on NAND in cubieboard

Postby xanb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi,

I just ask how to ask archlinux in NAND of cubieboard. There is this:http://linux-sunxi.org/Cubieboard/Installing_on_NAND but it's debian centric. How can we (the archlinux users) do that?

Thanks in advance,
Xan.
xanb

Re: Archlinux installed on NAND in cubieboard

Postby crashmaster » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Although it's Debian centric i think it's easy to follow these steps in Archlinux. I did that but in my case also not successful for my CB2. Maybe it's thought for CB1 only.

I think another reason was that NAND may have defect and unusable blocks of memory and these addresses must be eluded.
Maybe i'm wrong but i believe the best and only way to get these corrections for a clean addressing of the NAND is to use Phoenix (or Livesuit) to create the NAND content in FEL mode.

I downloaded a ready NAND image for CB2, burnt it with Phoenix and voila, it boots from NAND. I booted again from SD, mounted and copied the uImage and script.bin to nand1 (or nanda). On nand2 (or nandb) i installed (copied) my complete Archlinux rootfs (without /boot) from the SDcard and it works fine.
crashmaster

Postby xanb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:53 am

First of all, thank you very much. There is no much information here and there of Archlinux in Cubieboard.

It seems you're right. I found http://docs.cubieboard.org/tutorials/cb1/installation/cb1_lubuntu_nand_install and it follows your idea.

But I have a doubt: if I install ubuntu in NAND, what will be the boot sequence? If I put SD, the system will be booted from SD and then from NAND or conversely?

Thanks,
xanb

Postby crashmaster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:05 am

The system looks always first it can boot from SD and if you put there a bootable one it will do so. NAND doesn't play a role then.
In other words: To boot from NAND you should have no or at least no bootable SDcard put in the slot.
crashmaster

Return to Allwinner