Hackberry wifi not working after upgrade to kernel 3.4.79-3

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

Hackberry wifi not working after upgrade to kernel 3.4.79-3

Postby Sinck » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:18 am

I had wifi working under kernel 3.0.57-6, but after upgrading to 3.4.79 the wlan0 interface no longer shows up. I've tried both the rtl8192cu driver and the 8192cu driver. searching resulting in a pretty good list of options blacklists, etc, but none worked for me (and I think I tried them all).

I get the feeling that I missed something. anyone have a suggestion and/or confirmation that I'm not crazy?
Sinck

Re: Hackberry wifi not working after upgrade to kernel 3.4.7

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:39 pm

What module is it loading for it?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Sinck » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:28 pm

I've tried both 8192cu and rtl8192cu. (8192cu was what I was using with the previous kernel). When I use rtl8192cu, it pulls in rtlwifi and a couple of others. when I use 8192cu, there's nothing else.

Also, I did notice last night that my usb doesn't seem to be working (which I guess could be the real issue since the wifi on the hackberry is usb?). I don't really know where to start with that, since I thought that was built into the kernel...
Sinck

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:21 am

The USB "not working" is probably tied to the Fex vs anything else, but it is possible, I suppose.

I would say no USB working is more likely the culprit than some magic module change breaking.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Sinck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:15 pm

I agree. I saw something from last november that said that if the usb is configured as "otg" that it won't get powered because of a wiring issue on the board and that it should be marked "host-only" in the fex file (as well as a patch to the kernel: https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi/issues/158). I'm not really prepared to recompile the kernel.

I think my fex file is correct (I tried changing the usb type, with no luck, and it was working with the previous kernel). Is there anyone out there with a working fex file that I could grab? the setup instructions for the hackberry (http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... /hackberry) use the older kernel.
Sinck

Postby chaoslawful » Tue May 06, 2014 4:50 pm

My Mele-A1000 got the same problem after upgrading kernel. The WiFi works now after remake a script.bin from the corresponding fex file in the sunxi-boards repo (git://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-boards.git). Maybe it's helpful.
chaoslawful

Postby thecom » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi,

I seem to be hitting the same problem using kernel 3.4.90-2. If I use the hackberry.bin provided in the hackberry bootloader tarball, USB is powered down shortly after boot and no wifi is available. If I use the current hackberry.fex from the sunxi-boards repo, USB is said not to be powered off and wifi is available. However, no USB devices are recognized if plugged in. Wifi is also not working properly, scans are possible and my network is detected but a connection attempt (using wifi-menu) reboots the device.

Do you have any hints to solve or debug these issues?
thecom

Postby PLyttle » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:09 am

Are you sure it was the kernel update that caused the problems?
I would sooner suspect an uboot update, as this one overwrites your script.bin file.

I am just guessing, I don't own a Hackberry.

LP
PLyttle

Postby thecom » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:11 am

I don't know if the kernel update is really the cause. I never got USB and Wifi working with earlier kernels. As far as I can see the patch mentioned in an earlier post is included in this kernel, so in theory it should work.

How is uboot interacting with the *.bin file (I've almost no experience with ARM)? I replaced the file manually and it seems to be used because USB is turned off or on.
thecom

Postby PLyttle » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:27 am

the default script.bin is a part of the uboot package. When you update uboot, this default script.bin replaces the one you customized.

If you don't want this to happen, make a backup. and restore after the update

I created a .fex file (textfile) from my custom script.bin and the previous default script.bin and store them somewhere safe. Then after an uboot update I convert the "new" script.bin to a .fex file too. I compare the previous .fex with the new one, and when no changes have happened, I restore my custom script.bin.

Upto now I never saw changes in the default, contained in the uboot package, but if there is one I want to know what it is.

LP
PLyttle

Next

Return to Allwinner