Cubietruck and enabling wireless

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

Cubietruck and enabling wireless

Postby farmerdave » Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 am

I've followed the installation of Arch using kernel 3.4.75-sun7i outlined here on cubieforums.com, and Arch seems to runs very nicely, apart from two issues.

My 2.5" HDD won't mount at boot from an fstab entry, instead the boot process goes to emergency shell. But if I boot with the fstab entry commented out, and then use "mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /Disk" it will mount just fine.

Second problem is wifi. I created a profile which works when manually starting with "systemctl start wlan0-cubie". But if I use "systemctl enable wlan0-cubie" and reboot, wifi fails. Even more unusual, wifi cannot be started until I issue "systemctl disable wlan0-cubie" and then start the service!

Other services are working fine, such as mpd and ntpd at boot. I'm so close to getting this working, but help needed here please!
farmerdave

Re: Cubietruck and enabling wireless

Postby PLyttle » Wed May 14, 2014 3:47 pm

for wifi try:
netctl enable profile
netctl start profile.

with the profile in /etc/netctl off course.
examples are in /etc/netctl/examples

for the mount problem, maybe a little lean on info?
like what's the contents of /etc/fstab?
and what happens doing mount -a?

LP
PLyttle

Postby farmerdave » Wed May 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi,
You're right, I was actually using "netctl start wlan-cubie" but have written the wrong command in my first post! So unfortunately using netctl enable wlan0-cubie does not work upon reboot. But that exact same profile works after you issue the command "netctl disable wlan0-cubie" followed by "netctl start wlan0-cubie". If I don't disable it first, starting the service manually fails.

For the fstab entry, I have
#
# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/sda1 /Disk ext4 defaults 0 2
farmerdave

Postby PLyttle » Thu May 15, 2014 7:22 am

I tried a similar configuration, and I found all sorts of wierdness happening.
I strongly suspect that my power supply (5.2v 2 amp) is the culprit. Powering on and off of the harddisk throws the system in disarray, including not wanting to start Wlan0, or not completing reboot when the harddisk spins down, stopping booting when the the harddisk spins up etc.
So I tried a beefier type power supply (5.2v 5.2 amp) , and all went well again.
I guess Cubietech means it when they say 3 amp is minimum for using a 2.5" HDD

Maybe something for you to check. Be aware that beside the power rating, also the stability on power surges is important.

LP
PLyttle

Return to Allwinner