Cubieboard 2 stopped working after update

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

Cubieboard 2 stopped working after update

Postby udakak » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Maybe someone can help me or has an idea what's going on.

I ran a system update with pacman today, but after I rebootet my Cubieboard2, I couldn't reach it anymore via ssh. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the connection or if the board doesn't boot at all, but I get the error "No route to host". The blue led on the board is blinking like it usually does though...

I tried a new installation of ArchlinuxARM to see if I had butchered the system myself by playing around with it and I could reach the newly installed system via ssh, as I expected. But after I ran "pacman -Syu" and rebooted I could not reach the cubieboard anymore.

Like I said I'm not sure if the board is failing during boot, or if something is going wrong with the connection, but I want to make sure the mistake is not on my side. Maybe I'm missing something, or my router is making difficulties, so I'm looking if someone has similar problems or has an Idea what is going wrong...
udakak

Re: Cubieboard 2 stopped working after update

Postby PLyttle » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:51 pm

You are leaving a few things out, so I am going to assume you boot from the SD-card, and you connect via Ethernet.

After you updated, did you make sure all the files were written to the card before you rebooted? hint: use the sync command.

You probably had to reflash your u-boot. Are you sure you did that correctly?

When you connect with wifi, it is possible you need to restart the wlan.

The lights are flashing, meaning the board is doing something. It might have booted from nand.

When at all possible, you should consider getting a serial debug cable. That way you can see what is happening and you always have a gateway to the board, so you can correct things that went wrong.

LP
PLyttle

Postby udakak » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:15 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('PLyttle', 'Y')ou are leaving a few things out, so I am going to assume you boot from the SD-card, and you connect via Ethernet.

I'm sorry, yes, I am booting from SD-card and connecting via ethernet.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('PLyttle', 'A')fter you updated, did you make sure all the files were written to the card before you rebooted? hint: use the sync command.

As far as I can tell pacman does that on it's own already. The last thing it says after an update ist "synchronizing filesystem...", so I guess that won't be the problem unless I'm misunderstanding something...

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('PLyttle', 'Y')ou probably had to reflash your u-boot. Are you sure you did that correctly?

I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to this whole cubieboard thing, in what case do I need to reflash my u-boot? Meanwhile I kept on testing and it seems the problem appears after I updated the systemd packages (libsystemd-213-5, systemd-213-5 and systemd-sysvcompat-213-5), do I need to reflash after updating systemd?

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('PLyttle', 'T')he lights are flashing, meaning the board is doing something. It might have booted from nand.

The cubieboard has a "heartbeat" with the blue led as standard, that's what I was referring to. It does not mean that it's doing anything, it always does this when it's running...

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('PLyttle', 'W')hen at all possible, you should consider getting a serial debug cable. That way you can see what is happening and you always have a gateway to the board, so you can correct things that went wrong.

Yeah... I already read about that and I think I will get one, because it's enraging not to know what's going on everytime something fails. But sadly that won't help me right now...

Thank you for your reply, but like I said, I think the problem is the systemd update. I tried this multiple times now with a fresh installation and it happens everytime...
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I havent got the cubieboard for long, so I'm still quite the newbie.
udakak

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:22 pm

DO either of you have a serial connection to the board actively? This will provide FAR more detail.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby udakak » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:48 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'D')O either of you have a serial connection to the board actively? This will provide FAR more detail.

No, sorry, I don't have a serial cable for my cubieboard. Probably the reason I'm stuck now, because I can't really see what's going on.

The only thing I did to reproduce is run "pacman -Syu" on a fresh system and reboot... It seems like the systemd update broke something for me... Does that work fine for everyone else?
udakak

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:33 pm

https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/issues/861

Looks like this is affecting several of our "older" kernels. Seeing this on Everything with a 3.4 kernel at this point.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby aristidesfl » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:00 pm

Having the same issue after pacman -Syu
aristidesfl

Postby PLyttle » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:29 pm

I believe this is where it goes wrong:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '<27>systemd[1]: Failed to mount cgroup at /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd: No such file or directory
[ 5.286153] systemd[1]: Failed to mount cgroup at /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd: No such file or directory
')

That is as far as I got right now,
PS this is on a Phoenix A20. The only difference is script.bin

LP
PLyttle

Postby Veyrdite » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:11 am

Judging by your cgroup-related error message, I think it's related to this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=7330&p=40153&hilit=cgroup#p40153
Veyrdite

Postby PLyttle » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:19 am

To follow up on last night.

WarheadSE was right. this is indeed the indicated problem

Cloned into Maggu's sunxi-3.4-xattr branch, applied the working-bcmdhd-driver.patch
(and a sunxi_tp_hwmon.patch), substituted my .config and recompiled a kernel.

This solved the problem, the system works again with the new systemd. Thanks Maggu!

LP
PLyttle

Next

Return to Allwinner