linux-sun7i incompatible with systemd's "NoNewPrivileges"

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

linux-sun7i incompatible with systemd's "NoNewPrivileges"

Postby krabat » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:08 pm

systemd Units featuring the "NoNewPrivileges" parameter [0] fail on my Cubietruck running linux-sun7i from the repos. I'm aware that this device isn't officially supported yet but I guess it's rather a kernel- than a device-related problem.

The corresponding error message is
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Failed at step NO_NEW_PRIVILEGES spawning /Path/to/binary: Invalid argument')Problem doesn't affect up-to-date Arch Linux i686 or x86_64 systems.

It doesn't seem to be a big issue, especially as pkgfile-update.service is to my knowledge the only unit in the repos to make use of that parameter for now, and I can't tell whether any measures can / should be taken.
But given the problems that recently arose affecting systemd on this kernel [1,2] I thought it might make some sense to drop this message.

[0] "NoNewPrivileges" in man systemd.exec
[1] github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/issues/861
[2] github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/issues/882
krabat

Re: linux-sun7i incompatible with systemd's "NoNewPrivileges

Postby kmihelich » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:00 pm

If you're using the latest U-Boot, you can switch to the linux-armv7 kernel. If you don't need video, this will likely work much better for you as it follows mainline. I have little doubt AllWinner will move beyond 3.4, but mainline support is improving rapidly now.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Re: linux-sun7i incompatible with systemd's "NoNewPrivileges

Postby direx » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:23 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'I')f you're using the latest U-Boot, you can switch to the linux-armv7 kernel. If you don't need video, this will likely work much better for you as it follows mainline. I have little doubt AllWinner will move beyond 3.4, but mainline support is improving rapidly now.

Wow, thanks fot the hint. With linux-armv7 my Cubietruck is flying. The only downside of this is that I could not get cpufreq to work, but at least systemd and avahi are working without issues on the upstream kernel.
direx

Return to Allwinner