[resolved]Getting new kernels to run on cubietruck

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

[resolved]Getting new kernels to run on cubietruck

Postby eatmorepets » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:06 am

Hi,
I just managed to get my cubietruck running but the alarm-kernel is missing too many features, and I cant seem to get the headers to compile new modules. Anyway, I would rather run a newer kernel and found the kernel PKGBUILD in this post
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6413&start=150#p41870
It compiled perfectly but tells me to update uboot in order to get it to work. I tried quite a few things, but installing the kernel always renders my ct unbootable. What steps am I missing?

Thank you!
Last edited by eatmorepets on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eatmorepets

Re: Getting new kernels to run on cubietruck

Postby PLyttle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:21 am

The step you are missing is obtaining a serial debug interface. It will tell you where the bootphase went wrong.
available on ebay for about $5, free shipping. make sure you get a 3.3v version. This tool is essential if you are experimenting with uboot and/or kernels.

a few questions:
did you install the linux-sun7i-headers package?
what features, that are you are missing in the linux-sun7i package (3.4.90-4), are you hoping to find in the latest (testing) kernel?
did you install the latest uboot-cubietruck package? (latest is 2014.04-9)
did you try the latest stable release? linux-armv7 package (3.16.1-1)
did you try installing the linux-armv7-rc package (3.17.0-3) instead of compiling and installing yourself?

all the above references are available as pacman packages. using those will eliminate mistakes.

LP
PLyttle

Re: Getting new kernels to run on cubietruck

Postby eatmorepets » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:23 am

Alright, seems like I did not try every possibility. The alarm rc Kernel does indeed work. I guess I was updating systemd together with the kernel before, which doesn't seem to work on the truck? I read that somewhere.

Ok, thanks for your answer. Pushed me in the right direction. I also used an arduino due as tty-usb adapter. It worked, but proved unnecessary...

To answer your question: I have a btrfs formatted disk I want to hook up. Didn't want to reformat it. I used btrfs with an old kernel before and it constantly gave me issues about some missing features, so I didn't want to go down that road again.

Thanks again
eatmorepets

Return to Allwinner