Support for Orange Pi board

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

Re: Support for Orange Pi board

Postby zaphor » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:29 am

I have an Orange Pi Plus and after 5 days communicating with Xunlong Software CO.,Limited, I learn that the HDMI only works with HDMI TV not a monitor although it states so in the manual. Also I will not boot from a micro SD card with any of their image files. Lastly they have no idea how to flash the eMMC. It seems that someone dream up great specs but no one can figure out how to make them work.
zaphor

Postby Sino » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:25 pm

I found a patch to make the RTL8211E running here
Sino

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:30 pm

That's for u-boot
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby cribbageSTARSHIP » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:52 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jeancf', 'I')t does. I managed to compile the linux-sunxi kernel (generic linux-sunxi lightly modified for the bananaPi) and get it to run on the OrangePi with all features working.

But I still have not managed to identify the differences between the configuration of this kernel and the arch kernel that cause the ethernet adapter to not be recognized. They are both version 3-4.103.

In the meantime I run arch with my custom kernel and things are OK.

So you got arch to work on the O-Pi Plus with your custom kernel? May I have the kernel?
cribbageSTARSHIP

Postby jeancf » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:15 pm

Sure. Here's the HW pack generated by the compilation of the lemaker-bsp kernel.

BananaPi_hwpack.tar.xz

Once you have this kernel in place you can use arch with only one restriction: do not install or update the linux package.

Good luck,

/~JC
jeancf

Postby cribbageSTARSHIP » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:24 am

Thank you. I probably should have asked before hand, but will this work on the orange pi plus, and where did you get your original image? There wasnt an arch image on the website.
cribbageSTARSHIP

Postby jeancf » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:30 pm

I knew this was coming :-)

I have not touched this for a couple of months so let me try to remember the details...

I got the sources for u-boot and the kernel from LeMaker GIT here: https://github.com/LeMaker/lemaker-bsp. LeMaker makes a board, the BananaPi, of which the OrangePi is a clone. So using the source for the BananaPi is the easiest starting point.

I replaced the FEX file of the BananaPi by a FEX file that I got from a tech guy on the OrangePi forum and that I tweaked further to recognize all the features of the OrangePi. I modified some header file from the lemaker u-boot to allow the board to boot from a ext4 partition (instead of ext2 by default).

I compiled u-boot and kernel and generated the HW pack.

I installed arch on an SD card. I followed the instruction from another ARMv7 Allwinner A20 board (pcDuino 3) found here: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... r/pcduino3

At step 6 of the instructions on the page above I used the u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin and boot.scr from the HW pack that I compiled myself.

I replaced the kernel from the arch root file system by the kernel from the HW pack that I compiled myself.

That's it. Boot and off you go. Good luck.

I don't know wheter it would work for the OrangePi Plus but as it is a different SoC (H3 and not A20) I would expect that a different kernel is required.
jeancf

Previous

Return to Allwinner