NAND support on A10 board.

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Allwinner SoC.

NAND support on A10 board.

Postby lyoko » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi guys. Recently I took apart a tablet that contains cool features like: allwinner A10, mali-400, 16GB GPU, HDMI and I'm trying to reuse this tablet because it was completely useless to me.

I managed to boot Archlinux from microSD with a U-boot of "A10 OlinuXino Lime".
and my goal is to write archlinux to the onboard NAND memory, but arch doesn't recognize the nand.
In Android i had: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/dev/nanda /dev/nandb /dev/nandc /dev/nandd /dev/nande /dev/nandf /dev/nandg') each leading to a different mountpoint in Android.
The worse part is that I can't boot Android anymore, I messed with something on it's boot partition (/dev/nanda)..
So I can't really find out the name of the kernel module it uses to detect the onboard NAND.
I tried to load some kernel modules named nand but wasn't successful.
thank you!
lyoko

Re: NAND support on A10 board.

Postby lyoko » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:08 am

You can get alot of information just by reading the chip name on the board.

The kernel module I'm missing is 'mt29f_spinand'.
what is the easiest way to compile it without compiling the entire kernel and going through all of the configuration?
lyoko

Postby lyoko » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Got the module now..
modprobing spidev, spi_sun4i with mt29f_spinand doesn't help.

But it's probably because spidev fails to work. it doesn't appear in lsmod and dmesg doesn't provide any more info about it.
:cry:
lyoko

Postby destroyedlolo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:38 am

I'm booting my own A13 tablet using SunXI uboot and kernel, and the rest with Arch.
I can confirm the system see /dev/nand device and it is listed in dmesg with the correct geometry.
My problem is fdisk said /dev/nand contains no valid partition : is it normal or it is because my tablet is break ?
destroyedlolo

Postby sehraf » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:45 pm

There is currently no NAND support in the mainline kernel (see http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining ... or_drivers )

regarding fdisk: NAND is different to a HDD. With the old sunxi kernel you had to use a separated program for managing NAND partitions.
sehraf

Return to Allwinner