rc-local

Make a PKGBUILD? Submit it here for user review and possible placement into the repository.

rc-local

Postby drws » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:51 am

There is one simple package missing in Arch Linux ARM and that is rc-local. It provides /etc/rc.local script and systemd .service file.

I've confirmed it's working on Arch ARM by manually installing it on a ARMv6 (RPi) and on a ARMv8 (RPi 3) system. I suggest it is added to Arch Linux ARM repositories. The PKGBUILD is available in AUR.
drws

Re: rc-local

Postby moonman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:06 am

There is reason why it is not in the repos as we are moving forward from legacy stuff. It is in AUR, so everyone who really wants it can easily install it.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: rc-local

Postby drws » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:25 pm

On a Raspberry Pi I have an AUR repository (presumably with prebuilt packages) already working out-of-the-box with pacman. I never tried any other Arch ARM installation so I don't know if that is the general case. However, rc-local package is not found even though it is in AUR and I can install certain other AUR packages. I only propose rc-local is added to this "pre-built" AUR repository so that it is available from the base system installation.

I partly agree on the legacy part. SysV indeed is legacy, but rc.local is a handy script for simple manual commands to be executed at boot to which systemd does not have an easily memorable alternative. And the package basically only provides the needed systemd files so the script gets executed, it doesn't really have to do anything with SysV. Maybe it's not even legacy because of all that?
drws

Return to User-Submitted Packages